Sunday, September 11, 2011

The 7X7 Link Award

They say writers by their very nature are sensitive beings. I'm a writer, and yes I'm sensitive. A little too sensitive most days. Why else would I feel so bad that I lost a few followers and I don't know why. I also received a bad review for Dead Witness and couldn't even mention it until now. 

By our very nature to write we must be thin-skinned, fragile, softies--okay, that's pushing things, but it does bring me to my point. Receiving awards is a glorious thing. Yes, it most certainly takes time away from blogging, writing, housework, dirty stinky laundry and let's not forget: cleaning toilets. Let's hear a resounding YAY for awards.


Awards announce loudly that as bloggers we're appreciated.


Nancy S. Thompson: A writer's hopeful journey into the world of publishing has made my day by bestowing the 7 X 7 Link Award upon me. Thank you, Nancy! It's an award I will cherish.

As the name implies, I'm to list 7 of my previous blog posts that I believe represent: Most Beautiful, Most Helpful, Most Popular, Most Controversial, Most Surprisingly Successful, Most Underrated, Most Prideworthy. Not an easy task with 448 posts to pick from, but I'm up to. I'm to then pass this along to other recipients.

In no particular order:

1. Most Prideworthy - This may be cheating, but it would have to be the post announcing the birth of our 9th grandchild Blake. "It's a Boy!" I feel a certain sense of pride because I gave birth to Blake's wonderful daddy Cory. And without me there would have been no Cory and no Cory means... well, you get the idea.Yes, of course a huge applause goes to Blake's mummy Shannon.



2. Most Popular: "Ramona Moreno Winner, Author of the Wooden Bowl", the delightful children's story that just happens to also be bilingual.



3. Most Helpful: "Guaranteed Cure For Writer's Block", a tongue-in-cheek approach to igniting your creativity.



4. Most Controversial: "Self-Publishing, You Say?" The title speaks for itself, I think. You either believe in it or you don't.



5. Most Surprisingly Successful:  Will The Lake Freeze Over? I love this place I call home, so when so many of you left a comment, I was pleased.



6. Most Underrated"Probing For Answers in 2009." It was a post I wrote quite early on about the war in Afghanistan. I was surprised it didn't warrant a look. But as I said, it was early on.




7. Most Beautiful: Gail Bowen's and Martha Cheves Reviews of Broken but not Dead. I'm actually surprised I'm picking this one, but honestly, I am after all an author. These first two reviews quashed any fears I had over reader reaction to Broken but not Dead, which turned out to be beautiful thing.


Now to 7 bloggers: (if for whatever reason you decline the award, that's entirely okay)

1. Rainy Days and Mondays, Laurel-Rain Snow, because her blog is a wonderful place to be.

2. klahanie, A Man Challenging His "Inner Critic" because Gary's wisdom and knowledge is profound and deeply moving.

3. To Write, To Breathe, To Live, To Dance. Carol makes me smile every single time.

4. the Pastor's Wife Speaks is a safe a place to be.

5. So, You're a Writer... because Carrie Butler is full of inspiring thoughts and deeds.

6. One Writer's Journey, Penny Ehrenkranz is a writer's BF.

7. Trailowner, Christopher Hoare writes wonderful prose that always take me on an exciting journey.

19 comments:

  1. Yay, Joylene!! I'm so glad you participated. I'll be reading through your old posts. And I'm thrilled you chose Gary (Klahanie). I have a real soft spot for that man & his wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joylene! CONGRATS on your beautiful award. Congrats to everyone that you gave the award to. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nancy, thanks again. Yes, Gary's too wonderful for words.

    @Susanne, thanks! Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you, Joylene, and to your subsequent recipients! As I said on Facebook, I suppose sensitivity is part of our makeup as writers, but I don't think there's anyone alive who doesn't feel the sting of a slight. There's no shame in admitting it. What's important is to acknowledge it and then put it aside and move on.

    I think I've read most of the blog posts you've chosen, but am going to go back and check. I didn't (and still don't) always leave comments on posts I read unless I feel I have something unique to add.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joylene .. unfortunately we have to take the good with the bad - preferably people can be sensitive enough to just leave the review - not denigrate the book - so my thought is they've got a problem ... not you. (& I'm looking forward to reading it).

    Well done for going through and listing your posts - the thought daunts me completely .. I must get across and visit some of those posts.

    Congratulations on the award - definitely well deserved .. and what's a few followers - there's plenty of other fish in the sea! well there were?! but you get what I mean!

    Have a peaceful week and your 9th grandchild .. definitely deserves a big hug from me via you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award Joylene! This means I can't pass mine on to you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Joylene and I'm sorry I've been a stranger over the last few months.
    The unusually good summmer weather has conspired to keep me away from my computer for far too long.
    I enjoyed the pictures of the lake in summer time and I expect you'll keep us posted on the arrival of the ice, although hopefully that wont be for a while yet!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Carol. I always know I've got your support, and that's a good feeling. I didn't know what to put under that "underrated" and actually had to hunt for a post to mention. Seems a bit whiny of me now because that was a long time ago and really, what a readers suppose to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Thank you, Hilary. I noticed I'd lost a follower and was feeling a bit sad, worried maybe, when I received this lovely award. Is that timing or what? Thank you for your support, Hilary. Best to your mother.

    @Laila -- LOL. I'm so sorry! But you made me laugh, and I needed that. Thanks!

    @Paul, good for you for taking a break. I've been taking one from writing. I was only going to take two weeks off and it's almost a month. Guess I needed it. Look forward to more of your blog posts. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a charming and unusual award, Joylene. Congratulations. You have such a wonderful variety of posts, I'm not surprised you were chosen for this award. Being recongnzed for your hard work is uplifting and also a good motivator.
    And thanks for commenting on my post on Brian Knight's blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barbara. Thanks for your kind words. And best of luck with your book. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joylene:

    You are always deserving of an award. Your blog is always so fresh and filled with good feeling.

    Some creep panned Dead Witness? I know how you feel, someone panned Rast on the Kindle site but I have three good reviews there that people read, and ignore the malicious one. If someone didn't like DW they must live in a hole with a diet of maggots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, "a diet of maggots." Ooh, interesting analogy. And much appreciated. I feel better already. Thanks for all you do, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats, Joylene! You deserve the award. Btw, Blake is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Joylene! I enjoyed going through your older posts. It seems I had some catching up to do! :)

    Thank you for passing the award on to me. I really appreciate it! *hugs*

    P.S. I'm reading the excerpt for Dead Witness and I like it, so I cancel that not-so-nice review out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Karen. I get to hold our little adorable baby in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrie, thanks~! Your cancellation is duly noted. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joylene,
    I'm so sorry to read what you noted in the first paragraph. Yet I know that you will not let it continue to get you down.
    And there are those who recognise your endearing qualities as a fine writer and a kind, caring human being.
    I'm delighted you have received the 7 X 7 Link Award from that lovely lady and writer, Nancy S. Thompson.
    I shall look back through your seven previous blog posts for it's always good to revisit them. Hearty congrats to those you forwarded the award onto. And I'm truly honoured that you would include me amongst such an esteemed group of writers.
    Now, I recently, or I should say, Penny recently submitted up a posting in regards to seven links and I wouldn't want her or me, to repeat what was already posted. Thus, respectfully, I think it's best I do not post up this award in a posting. Thank you, my dear friend.
    In peace and positivity, your way, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gary, thanks for stopping by. It's quite all right if you don't post the award. Just know that I appreciate your wonderful writing and this is my way to saying much appreciated. I should tell the same to the other recipients. It is the giving that I need to do anyway.

    Happy Tuesday, Gary. Best to you, Penny and your dear son. Hope your summer is still hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your opinions matter. Sorry about the word verification, but I'm inundated with spam and it's trying me crazy.