Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tums or Rolaids, Anybody?

Dead Witness has been shipped. My distributor is contacting Chapters.Indigo's head office and the Save-On stores in B.C.. I had hoped to visit Kelowna and do some book signings before Christmas. As luck has it, those personnel in charge of my signings are unavailable until the second week in December. Too late. Winter is unpredictable. The highways could be closed because of snowdrifts or slides or become too treacherous to travel on because of freezing rains on top of big snow dumps. Another reason why I'm hating winter more and more each year.

And that's a shame. There is so much to appreciate about the season. The beauty of it. You know what I'm talking about. It snows two inches and all the trees are laden with a white fluff that quickly freezes, making the landscape look like a magical wonderland.

And the silence. So quiet you can hear the whish of air when a transport truck motors down the highway a kilometre away. Or you feel a eagle gliding past without sound before you ever see him.

And then there's the steam rising from the snow melting on your deck and evaporating in the sun.

Being the optimistic person that I strive to be, (not always successfully) I think things happen for a reason. I can either wallow in self-pity or accept that a trip to Kelowna would work better in the spring. I could concentrate my efforts in the Prince George area now, giving me some public relations experience and allowing me to market my book first on friendly ground. Besides, I'm not under the gun; I don't have deadlines to meet.

We've lived in the Buckley-Nechako distinct since 1979. We raised our family here. We have lots of wonderful friends and relatives. What better way to prepare for the outside world than on home turf.

In the meantime, on my next trip to the store, I'll make certain to stock up on Tums and/or Rolaids.

8 comments :

  1. I think marketing has to be the most difficult aspect of any writer's career. I understand there's about a six week period after the release date when publicity is crucial, and the pre-Christmas promotion picks up on a peak buying time. I suspect most publication gurus live in big cities and don't have a lot of sympathy for our winter touring dilemmas.

    Good luck on the promotion of your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it all. Of course, if you can't get out, you can make a start on your next one :-) [Just a little bit envious of the snow - we haven't seen any here for years now]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by, Graeme. lol Wish I could send you some snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Graeme, we don't see much snow down here in Oklahoma. We do, however, get blanketed in ice from time to time.

    At this point, I think I'd hike barefoot through the snow just to get a book published...though perhaps that's a bit extreme.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right, Amanda. We're writers; the whole point is to be published. I complain a lot about the overwhelming tasks ahead, but honestly, holding my book in my hands was an experience I'll never forget.

    Yesterday, I was in town, and I met a woman who had just finished reading my book. She said, "It WAS very good."

    I think it was her way of saying, 'Thank you for not wasting my time, but instead allowing me to escape for a little while.'

    Nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to find "Dead Witness" popping up on the pages of BC Bookworld which arrived in my mail today. It's really out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? BC Bookworld? That's ... great. Thanks for letting me know, Careann.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.