Sunday, December 14, 2008

Are Thoughts Sent Out and Received?

I love the story about the chimpanzee first observed picking up something by grasping her index finger and thumb together. Within weeks, chimpanzees all over the world were recorded doing the same thing. Scientists speculated that this phnomenon happened because the thought went out into the world and the rest of her kind received it. Her decision to pick something up using this new technique was thus shared throughout the world by thought alone.

Seems remarkable, doesn't it? We have a thought and it is sent out and received. Otherwise, where do our thoughts go?

I think: call me. And suddenly the phone rings and its you. I'm running late for my next appointment, but I need to make one stop. As I pull into the parking lot, my thought is: make a space available out front. I pull in and there it is.

Like so many unanswered premises, I choose to believe that thoughts do enter the world and are received. Like microwaves, they ignite inside my head, are processed and released. The universe (God) in His infinite wisdom brings electromagnetic waves and wavelengths or frequencies in line to accept my thought and to rearrange the universe to fit with its conception. Human and fallible as I am, I'm not always able to witness the consequences of my thought, yet I trust that something will happen regardless. I call it: praying.

Yesterday, three Canadian soldiers, from my son's homebase in Gagetown, New Brunswick, were killed in a roadside bomb outside the base in Kandahar. The same base where our son Cory is stationed. Several hours passed before the tragedy was broadcast on the news. My daughter-in-law works on the base in Gagetown, and aware of the incident, called me to say that Cory was okay. Having not heard, I was shocked, devastated and yet grateful.

As a writer, I should be capable of expressing my thoughts on paper. At a time like this, I'm not. 103 Canadian soldiers have died since the war began. Each time I learn of another death, I'm speechless. Yet, my thoughts immediately go to the families of those fallen soldiers. Sadly, we've lost loved ones and understand what these families are feeling. With each death, we in turn experience our tragedy all over again. The closest I can come to describing the feeling is it's as if somebody took a ladle and scooped out my insides.

Words fail me. All I can do is send out a thought and hope the families receive it and find a measure of comfort. If scientists are correct and thoughts are received, then my hope is that the mother and father, husband or wife, brother or sister, grandmother, grandfather, daughter or son know that in a very real way, the world is grieving with them.


Even if you don't have any connection to the war in Afghanistan or Irag, please take a moment to send a thought to these families. Let them know that they are surrounded by sympathy, compassion and sorrow. And then put out another thought: only peace (God) will save us.

7 comments :

  1. my heart aches for these men and their families. Thank you for bringing this story to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts wing like prayers wherever we direct them. As prayers, they aren't always answered as we might wish, but at least we have made an effort to express our hopes and desires, and we know they have been heard. There is comfort in that for us and for those for whom we've prayed.

    I don't have any connections to anyone serving in the Canadian military so although I'm always saddened by the news of another death, it hasn't been personal. However I found myself anxiously scanning the names as they were shown on the news this past weekend and realized I was very relieved that Cory's name wasn't among them. I can't imagine how relieved you would be! I'm sure it must be such a difficult thing for the families to know what "serving our country" could mean. [Stay safe, Cory!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Careann. Yes, when Shannon called and said Cory was fine, I immediately thought he's been injured. The soldiers deaths hadn't been on the news yet.

    As soon as I understood what she meant, then I could picture that mum just as clear as if she was standing next to me. It was an utter horrific moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you can stand it. I don't think I could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is serving in Iraq. I think my mum copes by keeping busy. She sends him lots of parcels and is constantly on the look out for stuff she thinks he'd like. Sometimes I catch her staring off. I think she's scared but would never say that out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom talks to my sister on the computer almost every day. When another soldier dies, she lights a candle at church. She doesn't talk about the deaths with my sister. They talk about nothing important. After my sister is off, my mom goes into her room and cries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.