Friday, December 5, 2008

Face the Fear.

I wish I could gather you all up and take you with me tomorrow to my book signing at Books and Company. Not that I'm scared. I'm an experienced book signer. I did one this summer at the PGX in Prince George.

Okay, I'm a little nervous. And not from past experience. Will I do okay? Yes, I'm sure I will as long as I remember Dead Witness is a good story. Valerie McCormick is an endearing, honest, and honourable protagonist. I've lived in the Prince George area for 28 years. My sons grew up here. My friends and family are here. What's the worst that can happen. Okay, I'll tell you on Monday.

Part of living means facing your fears. I'm nervous for several reasons. The road conditions at this time of year can be treacherous. Especially if freezing rains are in the forecast, as they are this weekend. Nobody could show up. Or I could make a complete fool of myself by stuttering, blubbering or worse going blank.

What i need to keep in mind is readers are people. Writers are people. We can't survive without the other. If I can keep a smile on my face, offer a good book and accept the consequences, I think I can grow as both a reader and a person.

11 comments :

  1. I think you'll do great. If it makes you feel any better, I shook like a leaf reading at my launch back in May and embarrassed myself a few times while signing books before and afterwards.

    I'm still alive, so it's not that bad ;)

    That, and I think we notice our own nerves and mistakes more than an audience does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Yes, I'm sure it'll be fine. Nice thing about it is this is my hometown. I have some wonderful friends. Just wish the weather cooperates. Freezing rains on top of snow expected.

    Thanks for stopping by, Sleepless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drive carefully - read slowly - and breath deeply. Other than that all I can say is, I wish I could be there to witness your success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to come to your booksigning and give you support and encouragement, but you'll do just fine. And I'll be sending you good vibes. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marty and Pat. My son's taking me into town, and my husband is tagging along. It'll be an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in mid-August as I was preparing for the Surrey conference and my interaction with all the authors, agents and editors I wrote about the intimidation that knew I'd feel, despite having attended previous years.

    "All the most beneficial aspects of a conference involve interacting with the people, but I’m so NOT a social butterfly! I’m usually the tongue-tied shadow observing from the outer fringe. After more than a decade of running my own people-oriented business, however, I know what I have to do to survive the inevitable stress — focus on the people, not their persona."

    I know it's not quite the same situation as you'll be in tomorrow, but nevertheless I think the advice to focus on the people -- i.e., as people and not as potential critics -- still applies. Don't worry about whether or not they will buy your book or what they will think of it. Just relax and enjoy the opportunity to share smiles and conversation (and cookies!) with friends and fellow readers. You'll be fine.

    Oh, and take along an extra pen. Murphy's Law says your best one is bound to run out of ink. ;)

    Good luck. I'll be looking for your Monday entry with news that all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take my good thoughts with you too. Have a great time.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Careann, that is excellent advise. I'm following it to a Tee.

    Keith, I know you're near. Thanks!

    It's been raining all night, so hopefully the roads aren't icy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll be fine. Relax. Enjoy it.

    I once had the privilege of doing a book signing in a major bookstore that was my favourite haunt as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great!

    Thanks for the great writing advice, and for a book that has already pulled me to chapter thirteen!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. David: I feel that way about Books & Company. The atmosphere is great, the staff are friendly & helpful, and the food is awesome. Can't ask for more than that.

    Jim: chapter 13? Wow, that's great. It was wonderful meeting you yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.