Sunday, December 21, 2008

Time Traveling

Last night I dreamed I was transported back to the farm I grew up on. I sat at the kitchen table talking to my dad, who's been gone since 1983. I explained to him that I'd returned from the future. He gave me 100% of his attention, then asked some questions. When I told him I was married and lived on a lovely lake in central B.C., his beautiful blue eyes glazed over; I think he was picturing himself sitting on our deck or fishing in our lake. He looked sad when I told him his grandson was also a soldier, and he was fighting a war in the Middle East in a place called Afghanistan. In my dad's day, it was part of the Soviet Union. He was shocked when I told him how much gas was, what we paid for a bottle of Crown Royal, and how much a new 4x4 went for. He laughed when I said I was twelve years older than he was at that moment. I guess no matter how old I get, I'm never going to stop missing him.


If you have nothing but time on your hands, here's a delicious eggnog recipe I found online:

While whisking eggnog by hand is fine, a hand mixer is best. It not only speeds things along, it also creates an eggnog with a creamier texture and body.

While the yolk and dairy parts of the recipe can be assembled the day before, wait to beat and add the egg whites until just before serving. This prevents the frothy bubbles formed by the whites from deflating.


The world's best eggnog

Start to finish: 20 minutes

Servings: 10

6 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 ounces good quality bourbon (such as Maker's Mark)
3 ounces sherry
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus a pinch to garnish

Place a large bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.

Meanwhile, separate the egg yolks and whites. Refrigerate the whites.

Once the bowl has chilled, add the egg yolks and use an electric hand mixer to beat for several seconds. Add the sugar and continue mixing until the sugar is dissolved and the yolks have turned light yellow, about 1-2 minutes.

Add the bourbon and sherry, then beat until well mixed. Add the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg, then beat until well mixed. Place the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Just before serving, place the egg whites in a second large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until they form stiff peaks.

Use a silicone spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Finish by gently whisking the eggnog to smooth the texture. Serve immediately.

--Merry Christmas

joylene

5 comments :

  1. I wish I liked eggnog. My husband and son do, but the women in our family don't. It always smells so yummy but I just can't make myself swallow it. I'll take hot chocolate with a peppermint or cinnamon stick instead. :)

    Your dream was fascinating. Mine are always a jumble of implausible vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was weird how I knew when it was time to wake up. I like that. Years ago, when I was having lots of nightmares, my girlfriend told me to take control of my dreams and change the outcome. Ever since then, not so many nightmares.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Careann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your Dad - People say you can get over a loss, but I don't think it's completely possible. I've lost both my Mom and Dad and
    I can go along for days just fine, but then something will trigger a memory and make me feel sad. There's no getting away from it.

    Anyway, as they say, life goes on. There are still many happy moments left to experience.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Morgan. Hope your Christmas was special. Hope your New Year is too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.