Thursday, December 18, 2008

A War Memorial Under Construction

What started off as simply a sign of respect has turned into an obsession. As a mother of a Canadian soldier serving in Afghanistan, I searched yesterday for a site that showed all of the 103 soldiers who have died in and around Kandahar since the war began. I was preparing to leave for town and had a few moments to spare. What I thought would be a fast retrieval of information hit a dead-end fast. And after a few more dead-ends I was shocked to realize there was no one site that I could go to for a list of names or photographs. A War Memorial.

I'm hoping the problem is me. And so I'm going to continue my search today because I can't let go of this. It's the least I can do. The family and friends of these brave Canadian soldiers need to know their sacrifice has not gone unnoticed.

If you happen upon any sites that have this list or might redirect me to where it is, please email me privately at cluculzwriter@yahoo.ca. How I'm going to construct this memorial, I'm sure yet. Please feel free to contribute any ideas you might have. Meanwhile, God Bless our Troops.


Best Regards,
--
joylene






4 comments :

  1. I hope you find the information you're looking for. And I hope your son has a safe Christmas. Sorry you can't all be together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passed this along to everybody I know. Maybe someone will remember the name of the newspaper. Seems only right that the names of the dead are listed somewhere. If they aren't, they should be. It's nice what you're trying to do. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin and Sam. I'm still convinced someone has done this already. There seems to be such a great response to the Highway of Heroes.

    Thanks for passing this along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your search, Joylene. Hope you find a way to make this happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.