Monday, February 16, 2009

TOS Gives Facebook Copyrights Over Your Contents

February 4th, Facebook revised their Terms of Use. The following is an excerpt from the revised TOS. To read more click here: Facebook Terms of Use

"You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof. You represent and warrant that you have all rights and permissions to grant the foregoing licenses."

The sentence I found interesting is as follows:

Prior to February 4, the Terms of Use read:

"If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content."


They now own all my photos, blogs and personal data?

Dang, I should have uploaded the good ones.

4 comments :

  1. I have a Facebook account that I tried to remove last year, but found it couldn't be removed... my only option was to "disable" it. News reports place Facebook high on the top ten sources of scams and identity theft so I've been careful about what I have in my profile or on the site. I'm told, however, that this "new" license really has no legal significance. Of course being that the site's intent is for worldwide networking any material published on it has always been at risk of being copied and distributed by other users. Its so-called private settings aren't at all secure. I suspect the only intent of this wording is to protect Facebook's moderators, etc., from any responsibility in the event of unauthorized access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not worried either. I knew when I opened an account that I was at risk. I never post anything that is in danger of being copied.
    --
    joylene

    ReplyDelete
  3. As with anything electronic - you have to be careful. Can't give away too much info or post anything that you don't want 'stolen' - like samples of ideas or WIPs. Facebook is fun. I've reconnected with 'kids' that I coached (most of them in their 20s & 30s now) & it's also a good way to tease your own kids (& daughter-in-law). Oddly enough, it also led to some book sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right, Dave. Be grown up about your expectations and you shouldn't be surprised.

    Oh, I particularly like posting baby pics of my grown sons. Someone called it revenge. Tsk, tsk.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.