Monday, February 23, 2009

White Blessings

Three inches of snow fell last night. The scene outside my window this morning was magic. And by that I mean whiteness covered all the muck that will reappear in the spring. All the problem areas on our lawn are covered in a perfect white blanket. You know, that clean whiteness that fills your heart with peace. I know I complain about winter a lot, but it is magical how snow makes the ugliest things look beautiful.

Because the lottery wasn't won Wednesday night, Saturday 649 was 48 million. Can you even conceptualize having that much money? Few people can. I've met one or two, and wanted so badly to ask them what they thought about in place of worrying over money. I lay awake Saturday night and imagined the freedom to leave whenever winter had me down. I imagined me and my new Mac notebook flying to the warmest places where I could sit at night and watch sunsets that would take my breath away. I imagined all the people I could help, and how fulfilling that would feel. I imagined... well, so much freedom that I slept poorly. Even after all these years, occasionally I still have to remind myself that bedtime is for sleeping not conjuring up scenarios that will keep me awake all night.

Chances are, I'm never know what having 48 million feels like. I'm not even sure I want to. I like my simple life. It's just taken a bit longer to realize that than it should have. Yes, I'd like the financial freedom to travel, to visit my family on a moment's notice and buy whatever I want when I want it, but at the risk of what? Is there a risk? I think so. Therefore, I'm publicly thanking God for the blessings I have that money can't buy. Particularly that of a healthy brain with its seemingly endless ability to imagine.

5 comments :

  1. Being FROM (emphasis on the word 'from') Pennsylvania, where snow & the cold was very common, though not to the degree that you endure it, finally got to me enough to move south. Yeah - it's pretty, at first, until it's piled on a shovel or blocking in the vehicles. (Also looks horrible after traffic turns it all muddy.)

    I've never played the lottery & don't expect to ever be a multimillionaire - which is OK with me. I always say that "I'm blessed beyond anything that I could deserve" - & I'm happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Dave. I'm happy with the way my life is. I wouldn't appreciate the disruption that winning the lottery would bring. Course, I do think things to death. Most of my friends think I'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good thoughts here, Joylene. I think at times we've all wished for something we don't have... dreamed about how much better our life might be if we had it. We had a friend who used to make an after-dinner game of asking such things as, "If you were given $1M (this was 20 years ago) what would you do with it?" While the game was fun, the responses often made it clear that not everyone was satisfied with their status quo.

    I think discontent/envy can be worse than a terminal disease. It's good to keep it in check and take stock of our blessings once in a while and accept that we really don't need more. That being said, it's a great exercise for our imaginations, isn't it? :)

    And your snow is beautiful. While most of the lower mainland is snow free again, we're a bit higher here and nestled in the trees. We still have a snow-covered yard, and it really isn't beautiful any more. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think discontent/envy can be worse than a terminal disease."

    Careann makes a great point. Can you imagine how miserable it would be to never be satisfied? It would hafta make you feel pretty empty. Envy / jealousy - who needs that baggage? Who needs snow for that matter???? Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I'm consciously waking each day with one thought running through my mind: "Thank you for another wonderful day."

    Then I rise to the smell of bacon cooking in the kitchen. Yes, it's a rough life. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.