Monday, October 19, 2009

THEYTUS BOOKS, Indigenous Publishing House.

Several months ago, the distributor for my novel Dead Witness, Nancy Wise from Sandhill Book Marketing, suggested I contact Theytus Books about publishing my novel Broken But Not Dead. I did. And last Saturday, October 17, I signed a contract. Note the gigantic smile on my face:


Anita Large, myself, Tracy Lawlor

Theytus Books was established in 1980 and became the first First Nations owned and operated Indigenous publishing house in Canada. The name Theytus is a Salishan word meaning "preserving for the sake of handing down." Selected by its' First Nations founder Randy Fred, the name Theytus was selected to symbolize the goal of documenting Indigenous cultures and worldviews via books. I'm very proud to be associated with them.

Anita Large, publisher and Tracy Lawlor, sales and marketing, gave me a warm welcome, full of enthusiasm and excitement over the publication of my book Broken But Not Dead. While our relationship has only just become, already I feel a connection to these incredibly talented women. They stand for everything I admire in my culture and my country: integrity, honour and dedication to their craft.

Thanks to Nancy Wise for suggesting I query Theytus, and for all the kind words she said about my first novel Dead Witness. Because I self-published Dead Witness, the process of publishing Broken But Not Dead will be a new experience for me. I'll keep you updated on the process and in doing so, I hope I clear up any misconceptions about the business.


Here's a brief description of my psychological thriller Broken But Not Dead:

When it comes to the safety of her daughter Zoe, retired English Professor Brendell Kisepisim Meshango knows no limit. Frightened beyond words, she draws upon an inner strength to go after her stalkers, a psycho and his murderous brother. What she must do to survive requires more than even she thought she was capable of.


Nancy Wise, Sandhill Book Marketing

Thank you to everyone for your support for Dead Witness. I hope you enjoy Broken But Not Dead with the same enthusiasm.

12 comments :

  1. Woot!! I'm grinning from ear to ear! Congratulations, Joylene! It couldn't happen to a nicer person. I wish you much success with Broken But Not Dead when it is released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Carol. I'm actually speechless. lol Yes, it's a first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you, Joylene! I can't imagine the thrill of actually siging that contract!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you imagine me without knowing what to say first?!!! Yipee!! WaaHoooooo!!! Hurray!!!! Oh boy out of sight!!!!! You did it Sweetheart. Your dream! Your goal! Your ambition! Fantastic!!! Fabulous!!! and all the other words I can't spell!!! Wow!!! I can't stop smilling; I bet you can't either. Now those boys of your better do something smart about this and celelbrate grand! I am sooo happy for you, I can't contain it. I really am!! You so deserve this. It happed Sweetie. I really did happen. I told you it would. I knew it would. I told you, you were that good. Yeah for these ladies being so smart to spot such great talent as you!!! Good for them and Good for you! I'm glad they are treating you as good as you deserve to be treated. Yipeeeeeee!!! I better quit. I'll use up the rest of this web page shouting Hooray!!!
    You news has made my day! You put a smile on my face and you know what an accomplishment that is. ha ha ha

    You're fantastic. I am so happy for you.
    Jo Ann Hernandez
    BronzeWord Latino Authors
    //authorslatino.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much, Vicki. It was a very nice day. The roads going down were perfect. I never realized just how beautiful Autumn can be. Anita and Tracy were so kind.

    JoAnn, yes remember when? Is it all those years ago, really? I'm a lot calmer than you would think. Went through a lot to get here. I'm going to enjoy the process. Thanks for being so happy for me. And thanks for reminding me that I once thought I was never going to be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Joylene! I'm thrilled for you, but then you already knew that. Had to say it again anyway. WooHoo!

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Keith, I know you're covering my back. Always have. Right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now we all have to use PayPal to read & comment on your blog.

    Congrats Joylene - really pleased for you. Hope you have fantastic success!!!

    Is PayPal complicated????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, lol, paypal is very very very expensive.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe today is the 22nd and I am just NOW learning your fabulous news. I am so happy for you!!! Whoooo Hoooo---doin the happy dance!!!!!! Go Joy---Go Joy------Yeah---Yeah---Yeah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks so much, Katt. I'm spinning, yep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give my regards to Anita. I interviewed her for a Children's Writer article a while back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.