Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AMERICA

We're very grateful that you were all able to share our big day with us yesterday. Thank you for all the good wishes. It was indeed a proud moment seeing our son dressed in the official Vancouver 2010 Olympic suit and carrying the torch. What a thrill.

In honour of all my special American friends, my dear buddy Kathrine Neff Perry has written a post in celebration of Thanksgiving. Enjoy. And have a wonderful Day.




            When I was a little girl, I used to sit on the front porch with my Grandmother and tell her stories. To this day, I can still hear her laughter. She used to ask me to repeat the story when my Grandfather came home, because she thought they were so funny. When I tried, he would look down his nose at me, shake his head at both of us because my Grandmother was rolling on the floor laughing again. He though we were both crazy.
      When my own children were young, I made up stories to entertain them. From the time they were tiny, it was expected of me. To make them laugh. There were times when I could be pretty convincing, especially to my son. He would look at me with those big brown eyes and not move a muscle. Waiting for the tale to continue. My daughter was a little more reluctant to believe all my stories.
      One Thanksgiving Day, I got up about 4 a.m. Cooking and singing. I was just happy to be alive and happy that we were having family and friends over to celebrate the day.
      When the turkey was carved, the potatoes mashed and all the dressing and other dishes were on the table, we all gathered in the dining room to eat.
      I blessed the food and everyone dug in.
 My son, who was very small, maybe five or six at the time, leaned against the table. His little head just above the plate and said in his sweetest little voice.
      “My Mom used to be a pilgrim. She came on a boat for the first Thanksgiving.” Proud he remembered.
      My Grandfather glared across the table at me, nodding his head. She’s still telling stories!
      Blessings and Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving

11 comments :

  1. Doesn't matter what story you tell, I'm always there right in the middle of it. In fact, I could sit back and listen to you talk all day long. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no critics as honest and true and little kids. When they like a story, it's a good one!

    Happy Thanksgiving to all - wherever you live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's why I have difficulty today. We weren't allowed to say what we thought when we were kids. My parents thought they were doing the right thing. Polite, we are, but liberated? Not exactly.

    Thanks, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can still hear my Grandmother's laughter. She encouraged my gift of story telling. I'm not sure it was a conscious effort, she thought I was funny! It was almost the reverse of "tell me a story"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make my family laugh by simply talking too much too fast. It got them every time.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful stories, Katt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vicki, your kids only repeat the stories you don't want them to repeat! They never remember the good things you tell them. Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy, my husband laughs at me today, because I usually have several topics going at the same time. My girlfriends have no problem keeping up, but he shakes his head, still stuck on the first--or second--thing I talked about. Must be a guy thing!
    Hugs
    Katt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your precious family memories, Katt. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I got an email from a friend in Wyoming who said my blog brought back childhood memories of her own. Coming downstairs and crawling behind an old cook stove to get warm on Thanksgiving morning. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving too.
    Hugs
    Katt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friend is so right, Katt. You bring nothing but joy to everyone who comes in contact with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. stop it Joy, you're gonna make me cry! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.