Saturday, December 5, 2009

Turn Your Novel Into a Promotional E-Book


Please welcome back my guest host, Chuggin McCoffee. Chuggin McCoffee is a coffee fanatic that has spent the entirety of his career cultivating and studying all of the best uses and brewing styles for optimal coffee and espresso flavor. His specialty site for all coffee needs, supplies, and Commercial Coffee Makers can be found at www.thecoffeebump.com.


Turn Your Novel Into a Promotional E-book
by Chuggin McCoffee

If you are hoping to market your novel online, one of the most important things that you can do is to turn your novel into a promotional e-book. E-books are a wonderful way to give your audience a sample of your novel subject, and they can be given to your readers for free or at a small price to encourage the sale of your novel online.

To begin with, you must determine the subject of your e-book. If you have written a fictional novel, like a romance or thriller, you may want to simply take 10 to 20 pages of your novel and put them into an e-book form. An e-book will be sold in the PDF form, and if you are simply taking an excerpt out of your book, you can convert it to the PDF form at http://www.freepdfconvert.com/.

If you have a book on a different subject and want to convert it into a smaller version as an e-book, then consider writing it in a "How To" format. This sells well as an e-book, and it is suitable for any nonfiction book that you may have written. For instance, if you have written a book on home decorating, then you would want to convert it into an e-book of 10 to 20 pages that could be entitled "10 Easy Tips For Affordable Home Decorating". The point of the matter is to choose a catchy "How To" title that would be something that people would want to buy. It is also important that it reflects an aspect of your book, while still leaving your readers wanting more so that they will purchase your actual book.

Last of all, there are a number of venues that you can use to sell this promotional e-book. If you are active on Twitter, that is a wonderful way to promote yourself and your sample e-book through social media. Otherwise, it is important to become a part of many different forums on your subject, where you can provide information about your e-book. If you do have your own blog or website, then it is ideal to promote your e-book on your blog, either for free or a small price, so that your readers will be encouraged to buy this e-book. From that point, they can get a better idea of what your novel or book is about so that they can buy it as a result.

6 comments :

  1. Could I sell my novel on my blog? Or does it have to be Amazon? Do I have to use Paypal? This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I've actually been creating ebooks from articles I've been writing and knowledge acquired. It's easy and on lulu, no cost.

    Karen Cioffi
    http://dkvwriting4u.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Marcie. I'll pass along your question to Chuggin.

    Hi Karen and Robyn. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. That's good news for a lot of Lulu authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcie,

    Yes, you can sell your e-book on your blog, and you don't have to use Amazon. You also don't have to use Paypal, but it is recommended because otherwise, you will have to have a merchant account to accept credit cards, which comes with a monthly fee. It would also be easy to sell your e-book directly on lulu.com, as was mentioned above. Thank you, Karen and Robyn, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Chuggin, for teaching me something I didn't know. I'm going to give your idea a try. Maybe I'll have a contest at the same time.

    I'm not a member of Lulu, do I have to get permission from my publisher? I looked at our contract and e-books isn't mention; their mistake. Am I free to sell my copies since the book technically is owned by the publishers?

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barry,

    To be safe, you may want to check with your publisher and the terms on lulu.com since it will be a sample of your published book in the e-book. form. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.