Monday, April 5, 2010

ASK PZM - April

April 5th is upon us and with that I'm pleased to welcome back my guest columnist, Phyllis Zimbler Miller, author of "Mrs. Lieutenant: A Sharon Gold Novel".
Q:  Should I make my book available in other formats?

A:  You definitely want to make your book available in whatever additional formats are available to you (depending on your book marketing budget).

Let's discuss why this is so:

As with most other things on the web, you want to make it as easy as possible for people to say yes to you -- in this case yes to reading and buying your book. 

Now these two things are NOT necessarily the same.  You may want as many people as possible to be able to read parts or all of your book without buying the book.  This can be an effective marketing strategy for new novelists because your fiction may be as yet unknown. After all, it’s hard to make a case that someone should pay the retail price for a new writer’s novel without knowing if your book is any good.

(The situation is different with nonfiction books.  If you have a book, for example, that is about a new way of losing weight, you can probably connect with a large market of buyers who have never before read anything you’ve written.)

There are different places on the Internet that you can have your entire book online for free. I personally use these two
services for my novel “Mrs. Lieutenant”: www.bookbuzzr.com and www.authonomy.com 
  
And making your book available for free may lead to actual sales after people read your book and enjoy what they’ve read.  (These sales can result from those people then buying your book in actual book form or in recommending to others that those people buy your book.)

But there are also different formats for selling your book. If you are self-published (or if your publisher doesn't provide for this), you should definitely make your book available in the Kindle format and in other electronic reader formats if
appropriate.
 
If you are a self-published author or a traditionally published author who has retained these rights, you also may want to sell your book in audio format or as a digital download.

Whatever new formats come along, be sure to consider these as part of your overall book promotion strategy.

Q: If I have a marketing-driven website for my book, should I also have a Facebook fan page?
A few months ago I might have said having a Facebook fan page is not really necessary.  Yet in the past few months Facebook has increased the functionality of fan pages to the point where I have realized that you can benefit from the “power of 3” by integrating a marketing-driven website, a Facebook fan page and Twitter.  (See my free report about this at http://www.millermosaicpowerof3.com )

A Facebook fan page is a page for business purposes as opposed to your Facebook profile (which you need in order to create a
Facebook fan page).  And you do have a business if you are promoting a book.  (Although you can have a group page on Facebook to promote your book, a group page does not have as many advantages as a fan page.)

One important tip before you set up a fan page:  You can have up to 75 characters in your page title, so take advantage of this as a Facebook fan page is searchable on and off Facebook.  In other words, include keywords. 

Thus you may start off with the title of your book, your author name, and then descriptive keywords such as teen horror or children’s picture book (the words someone might enter in a search box if looking for the type of book you’ve written).

And choose the title carefully because, once you create the fan page, you can’t change that fan page title.

If you are interested in a video and companion workbook that helps you set up an effective Facebook fan page, see my company’s product at http://www.millermosaicllc.com/facebook-fan-page

© 2010 Miller Mosaic, LLC

Phyllis Zimbler Miller is the author of “Mrs. Lieutenant: A Sharon Gold Novel” (www.mrslieutenant.com) and the co-founder of Miller Mosaic Power Marketing.  You can get her free report “Twitter, Facebook and Your Website: A Beginning Blueprint for Harnessing the Power of 3 for Your Business” (and your book) now at www.MillerMosaicPowerof3.com

*Remember, if you have a question for Phyllis, send it to me and I'll forward it on for next month's column. 

9 comments :

  1. Phyllis makes some excellent points here. Thanks for a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's heartbreaking to go to some of these links, complete the process, then be told it's only available to Americans. If I'm a self-published foreigner, do I have to go elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone like me who is completely computer illicit, wish there was a step by step method for doing this. But I appreciate the links, Phyllis. And I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joylene. I came here through the klahanie blog to whom you gave a well deserved award.
    What a great idea, I was happy to recieve it myself from Gary.
    I will be back to explore you interesting blog in depth.
    Feel free to drop by and say hello!
    Bazza (UK)
    PS: I love Canada and have cousins in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carol, thank you! I know I've said this before, but your continual support means a lot.

    @Matthew, good question. I'll have to let Phyllis answer that. I'm not sure. I suppose each country has their own rules, but if you're trying to target the Americans, then I understand your dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeremy, Phyllis has a link at the bottom of her post that should answer all your problems.

    http://www.millermosaicllc.com/facebook-fan-page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bazza. I'm so pleased to meet you. Thank you for stopping by. And do come back any time. I love the UK. And any friend of Gary's is very welcomed here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthew -- Could you please explain to which links you are referring? I'm not aware that any of the above links are only for Americans.

    Jeremy -- First of all, there are step-by-step guides available for many things.

    But my first recommendation to you is this: Start learning as much as possible about being computer literate -- you will benefit greatly from taking the time to do this. There are books and online courses and all types of resources.

    It's important to keep an open mind about learning. If you find yourself hesitating to learn new things, I highly recommend the paperback book (on Amazon) MINDSET by Carol Dweck.

    Good luck,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I was asking if the links you included were only for Americans. So often in the past I'll go thru the process only to be told at the end that the site is for Americans only.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.