Friday, April 2, 2010

TOO MANY NAMES FOR YOUR PROTAGONIST?

If I were tempted to procrastinate for a time, I'd spin the rings, bounce them off the walls, then sit back and watch the stardust display. If I was tempted to kill time, that is. There's always the Let's chase the rings game.



I'm working on my next book under the tutelage of my editor, Leanne Flett Kruger. Leanne has been assigned by Theytus Books to help me whip Broken But Not Dead into shape for next year's publication. My first assignment is to decide just how many names I want to label my protagonist.

Brendell was born Brendell Kisepisim Meshango. Her ex-husband calls her Dell. Her colleagues call her Doctor Meshango. Her students address her as Professor. Her friends call her Brendell. Her stalker calls her Bren. But too many names and I'm liable to confuse my reader.

You're probably thinking: Easy. Just change all these variations to Brendell or maybe... Professor. Or perhaps Dr. Meshango. Or....

Hmm. See what I mean? My first assignment and already I'm procrastinating by playing with stardust.

Anyone have this same problem with their protagonist? Too many names for one character?

--Happy Easter Everyone
joylene

3 comments :

  1. Very interesting design. Who thinks up this stuff. KiraKira. I'll check them out. I could stare at this all day.

    Names? Interesting. In police books, i notice the cops call each other by their last names. Even on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to generalize the character with subtle info.

    If there is only one prof in the story and you have made it clear to the reader that the character is a professor they will know who you are talking about whe you mention Prof Brendell.

    The pet name Dell isn't working i.m.o Its too dull from a partners prospective. Rather use a creative pet name.

    another brainfart
    Tie your character to his own unique selfimage, that way when referencing the character the reader knows who Dell, Brendell or Dr Meshango is.

    The different name do give the character depth in relation to the world around him.

    In reality people do refer to you differently. Walk into a bank, Sir Madam, Mr Meshango, Walk into a co worker / friend's office you'd hear, Danny boy or Dudemeister depending on the situation and relation.

    Just my amateur opinion.

    If you do find another solution please post it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the brainstorm, Michael. I appreciate the input. I ended up making the adjustments that my editor wanted. LOL. At this stage, I'm figuring she knows what she's talking about. IOWs, making the changes was easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.