Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ASK PZM - MAY


Phyllis Zimbler Miller (@ZimblerMiller) has an M.B.A from The Wharton School and is the co-founder of the social media marketing company Miller Mosaic Power Marketing. Get her FREE report “How to Monetize Your Site/Blog Without Ads” at www.millermosaicllc.com/monetize-your-site
Q: Is it a good idea to provide book club discussion questions?
Absolutely. You should provide the questions on your book’s website to encourage people to consider your book for their book clubs.

Make sure the questions aren’t answered by a simple yes or no but instead require thoughtful consideration.

You can also create a video to explain to book clubs why they should consider your book. (Watch my book club video and read my book club questions for my novel “Mrs. Lieutenant” at http://www.mrslieutenant.com/book-discussion-questions/ )

Q: Is it necessary to have a book trailer?

I’m not convinced that this is necessary although I did pay to have one produced for “Mrs. Lieutenant.” After I had done this, I took a two-day marketing workshop with John Kremer ( www.bookmarket.com ) and his ideas on book trailers are much different than most people’s ideas.

If you look at the standard book trailer – and mine at http://www.mrslieutenant.com/fiction-teaches-us-history/ is such – it is similar to a movie trailer. John Kremer, on the other hand, recommends creating a video that can go viral because of its originality separate from the book (and this often requires humor in the video).

Bottom line? If I had it to do over again, I might forego a book trailer for now. You can always add this element later into your marketing mix.

Q: Is it a good idea to leave comments on posts on book blogs?

It is a good idea if you leave thoughtful ones – “Great post!” does not count – and you include your Twitter username or book author website URL so that people can find out who you are. (Some blog sites provide these comment links automatically.)

The more you interact on social media sites with others the more likely others will be interested in you and what you write.

Update on Facebook: Last month I wrote about Facebook fan pages. Guess what? Facebook is busy making major changes – again. These pages are no longer fan pages – for now they appear to be just pages. And you no longer “fan” a page to join that page. Now you “like” a page.

You can check out my Queens of Book Marketing page at www.facebook.com/bookmarketing -- and I hope you’ll “like” the page.

© 2010 Miller Mosaic, LLC

If you have a question for Phyllis, please send it to cluculzwriter at yahoo dot ca and I'm make sure she gets it in time for her June column.
* * * *
Mrs. Lieutenant: A Sharon Gold Novel

By Phyllis Zimbler Miller 

They had their whole lives to look forward to – if only their husbands could survive Vietnam.

 



In the spring of 1970 – right after the Kent State National Guard shootings and President Nixon’s two-month incursion into Cambodia – four newly married young women come together at Ft. Knox, Kentucky, when their husbands go on active duty as officers in the U.S. Army.

Different as these four women are, they have one thing in common: Their overwhelming fear that, right after these nine weeks of training, their husbands could be shipped out to Vietnam – and they could become war widows.

Sharon is a Northern Jewish anti-war protester who fell in love with an ROTC cadet; Kim is a Southern Baptist whose husband is intensely jealous; Donna is a Puerto Rican who grew up in an enlisted man’s family; and Wendy is a Southern black whose parents have sheltered her from the brutal reality of racism in America.

Read MRS. LIEUTENANT to discover what happens as these women overcome their prejudices, reveal their darkest secrets, and are initiated into their new lives as army officers’ wives during the turbulent Vietnam War period.

“Mrs. Lieutenant was a wonderful way for me to connect with what my daughter’s going through – congratulations on capturing the intensity of that experience with such great characters!”
— Bob Niemack, father of a daughter married to a brigade surgeon serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, April 2010

4 comments :

  1. The book sounds wonderful. I think I am going to have to read it:) Appreciate the info, Joylene and Phyllis. Thanks also for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen --

    Thanks for leaving such a lovely comment.

    And I was really pleased when I got this response to "Mrs. Lieutenant" from the father of a woman whose husband is currently serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for an interest post, Phyllis. It's especially interesting to get your take on book trailers. I'm of a mixed mind about them since I don't think I've ever been influenced to buy or not buy a book because of one I've seen. And yet I like to watch movie trailers. I'm thinking maybe if a decent one can be created without too much cost it couldn't hurt to have one in the marketing package but otherwise it probably isn't nearly as important as other forms of publicity. (The key word there is "decent" because not everyone has the capabilities to produce a quality trailer on their own, and paying professionals can be expensive. I've seen some pretty pathetic ones that turn me off the product!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I agree. I've put Mrs. Lieutenant on my list too.

    Carol, you nailed it. Book trailers are never the deciding factor. I like the human contact during a guest blog to help me decide if their book is for me or not.

    Phyllis, it's always a pleasure. You give outstanding answers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.