Thursday, July 22, 2010

Penny Ehrenkranz presented me with VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD

Unaware that Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz was even following my blog, what an awesome surprise to learn that she presented me with the Versatile Blogger Award. Thank you, Penny. I'm thrilled. Honestly, at first I thought it was a mistake.

Penny is one of those special people who volunteers, is a freelance writer, author, and copyeditor for MuseItUp Publishing and Damnation Books LLC/Eternal Press, and an all round terrific human being. I've always admired Penny's dedication to our craft and receiving this award from her is terrific. If you haven't already visited Penny's blog, please stop by and see who else she nominated.

For those who don't know, the Versatile Blogger Award comes with some rules:

1. Thank those who loved me enough to bestow this gift.
2. Share seven things about myself.
3. Present this honour onto 15 newly discovered or followed bloggers–in no particular order–who are fantastic in some way.
4. Drop by and let my fifteen new friends know I love them.

Thank you very much, Penny. You made my month. The fact you even know my blog exists is an absolute thrill!

Seven things about me:

1. I'm a complete mess when it comes to sic or dying animals. My experience at farm-sitting this summer had me on melt-down a few times.

2. I love kid's movies and have seen Polar Express, Shrek, The Rescuers, and Christmas Carol (to name a few) over two dozen times each.

3. I have a huge crush on late night interviewer and southern gentleman Charlie Rose. In fact, I sometimes dream about sitting at his roundtable discussing all of my bestselling novels. But first I'd chat with Tavis Smiley. Charlie would be the icing on the cake. 

4. I'm known as sensible Jo, yet I love to drive very very fast. I was clocked at 143 mph when I was a young woman. Shortly after that I started racing at the local track. Three decades later, I use cruise control to rein myself in.

5. Thirty plus years ago, my professors at SFU told me to give up writing and to go home and have babies. The resulting pity-party, thankfully, didn't last long.

6. I love technology and, if I could afford it, I'd own every devise known to man. Yet -- I'm a complete airhead when it comes to the stock market. I still can't figure how why our loonie goes up then down then up then down ten times in one week.

7. The night before a book signing or reading, I can't sleep and am often physically ill. The throwing up part lasts until I climb into the car to drive the 68 kms to town.

In no particular order, fifteen Bloggers I admire and follow and can't say enough nice things about:

1. Gary Klahanie, A Man Challenging His 'Inner Critic'. http://klahanie.blogspot.com/
2. Carol Garvin, Mental Meanderings on Life and Writing by Carol J. Garvin: http://careann.wordpress.com/
3. Jo Ann Hernandez, BronzeWord Latino Authors, Creating excellence; http://www.authorslatino.com/blog/
4. Christine Hart, Thoughts on Writing and Making Things; http://sleeplessstoryteller.blogspot.com/
5. Dave Elbright, JaxPop, Haunted City Writer, http://jaxpop.blogspot.com/
6. Keith Pyeatt, Horror With Heart, Paranormal thrills, real emotion.http://keithpyeatt.blogspot.com/
7. Marta Stephens, Novel Works, A place where writers and book lovers come together; http://novelworks2.blogspot.com/
8. Anita Stewart, A.F.Stewart's Blog, Rants, writing, and updates by fantasy writer A. F. Stewart. http://afstewartblog.blogspot.com/
9. Christopher Hoare, The Wildcat's Victory, The Official Book Blog of Soft Science Fiction/Alternative World Novelist Christopher Hoare, http://thewildcatsvictory.wordpress.com/
10. Pat Brown, P.A.Brown, http://www.pabrown.ca/
11. Laura Best, Author, http://lauraabest.wordpress.com/
12. Carole Anne Carr, a commonplace blog where a children's author and friends can share; http://caroleannecarr.blogspot.com/
13. Cher'ley Grogg, Mirror, Mirror, Who's the Next to Die? http://cgrogg.blogspot.com/
14. Cher Green, Footsteps of a Writer, A walk with an aspiring writer,  http://chergreen.blogspot.com/
15. Kathryn Neff Perry, Katt's Komments, http://kattskomments.blogspot.com/


I thought choosing 15 would be difficult, but it wasn't. These bloggers never fail to make me think, dream and aspire.

Please take a few minutes to visit these amazing bloggers.  Thanks again, Penny!

17 comments :

  1. Thanks for the nomination! I'll be sure to pass it on soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joylene. I'm not quite sure I follow fifteen bloggers. This may take some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christine, you're very welcomed. Take all the time you need.

    @Laura, that's what is so nice about these awards; you get to meet new bloggers. It doesn't seem that long ago that I first came across your blog through Careann's. Yet it was almost 3 years! Take all the time you need. And if need be, choose 10 instead. I think 10 was the origin rule anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS on receiving The Versatile Blogger Award!

    Penny is an awesome person and I enjoy following her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Susanne. I'm feeling pretty grateful these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for nominating me, Joylene. As Laura said, I don't think I know 15 boggers, but I'll take a count. (Hey, maybe I could guest blog with them all to promote my books.)

    Had to laugh at your comment about markets. I can predict exactly the day when our Canadian $ goes down -- it's the one when I have to buy more of my POD books from Lightning Source.

    Christopher Hoare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris. Don't fret if you can't come up with 15. I think the original count was 10 anyway. Just know that I am grateful for everything you've done. You're a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joylene,
    First of all, I want to say what a worthy recipient you are of 'The Versatile Blogger' award. Second of all, what were those professors at Simon Fraser University thinking?
    Third of all, thank you so much for considering me a recipient of this award. I am sincerely flattered that you thought of me. It is greatly appreciated.
    Fourth of all, I shall now duly follow the instructions and submit my posting with a further 15 bloggers I consider to be a darn good read.
    Thank you, Joylene. With respect, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very welcomed, Gary. Your blog is terrific and I'm glad there are awards like this to showcase bloggers like yourself. Thanks for all the support. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before I get into the pleasantries: What the heck is a loonie??? I know what they are down here, but they're usually under a doctor's care.

    Now then - I would like to thank the academy, & Joylene in particular, for this undeserved yet most prestigious honor - which would be spelled honour in Canada, but then, they add all kinds of letters to their words up north. Ink manufacturers love Canadians.

    Now we follow, & are friends with, many of the same bloggers so I have 2 dilemmas - To whom can I pass this great prize along without seriously overlapping & how do I possibly come up with 7 facts about me that could be remotely interesting. I'll try.

    Thanks Joylene - you're a good buddy. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave, there is no way I can compete with what you just said so instead let me add, amen brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay - so I don't get to learn what a loonie is?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops, sorry. A Loonie is a Canadian dollar coin. A Toonie is a Canadian two dollar coin. They stopped making paper one and two dollar bills many years ago. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there!

    Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

    We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

    “Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!
    And I second the 'Happy Writing' wish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

    http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Reberto, Carol and joven! Have a wonderful day, everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.