Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ask PZM - September 2010

Q: Are there sites besides having my own blog where I can showcase information related to my book topics?

One of the first online activities to consider is writing guest posts. And you don’t have to spend hours scouring the web to find blogs that might be interested in your guests posts.

My personal favorite source for guest post opportunities is BloggerLinkUp.com – you sign up for free and get email notifications of people who want guest posts on specific topics. And, on the flip side, you can post requests if you are looking for guest bloggers for your own blog.

Another online opportunity is creating content at Hubpages.com as well as creating content at Squidoo.com

Read the specific requirements carefully as to whether your material has to be original for that site or whether you can use your own previously published material.

Q: I know you have written how important it is to start a book marketing campaign way before a book is published, but I was so busy writing my book that I didn’t have time to start my campaign. What should I do now that my book is about to come out?

First, I want to make it clear that I don’t necessarily believe you should start your book marketing campaign before your book is published. What I do believe is that you should start actively participating on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn way before your book is published.

If you happened to already be participating on these sites, you want to review all your profiles, links, etc. to ensure that you now have information and links that support the promotion of your book.

If you are not already participating on these sites, you should immediately do so.  But don’t overwhelm yourself with trying to do everything at once.  Start on one site and then add the other sites.

Here is a free report that can help you set up an effective Twitter profile – http://www.millermosaicpowerof3.com

Q: What should I do about a negative book review?

There is usually not much you can do about a negative book review – and complaining about it just brings more negative attention.

But if, for example, a reviewer gets an important historical fact wrong, you might want to correct this. It’s probably not a good idea to say: “You got that historical fact wrong.”

A better way would probably be to say: “Thank you for reviewing my book, and I just wanted to mention that the correct day for the [reference] is actually 1697 and not 1497."

After all, there is no need to make an enemy.  If you handle these types of situations with grace, you may be pleasantly surprised when this same reviewer gives your next book a good review.

© 2010 Miller Mosaic LLC

Phyllis Zimbler Miller (@ZimblerMiller on Twitter) is the co-founder of the social media marketing company Miller Mosaic Power Marketing. The company is committed to taking the mystery out of social media so that individuals and companies can utilize the power of social media marketing. Check out the company program Quick Start Social Media Track at www.millermosaicllc.com/social-media-track

12 comments :

  1. Some excellent advice, and I'll have to check out BloggerLinkUp.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita. I've met some terrific people on BLU. Cathy Stucker is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaggghhh... Promotion - bragging. Bragging - promotion.

    VERY uncomfortable. I'm being pushed into attending a writers conference in October. Already working on excuses. Hoping I catch the flu or something.

    Very good post & thanks for the sources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good advice... thanks, Phyllis. And, Dave, there are varying degrees of promotion and not everyone goes all out. You only need to do what nets you the results that satisfy you. BTW, you're not allowed to hunt out any flu bugs before that conference, especially since your novel is one of its contest finalists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the writing conference, Dave. I'm hoping to attend a writer's retreat in Oct, so we'll both have good stuff to talk about when they're over. Kewl.

    Hi Carol. Yes, I agree -- Dave -- no sickie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Phyllis and Joylene,
    There is some very good advice here. Now I do the occasional guest post, but my shyness in regards to just how great my writing is, makes me very reluctant to go on to these sites:-)
    Seriously, there is some excellent ideas submitted here. No doubt of great value to aspiring writers.
    Have a super week.
    With respect and modesty, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Gary. Hope your week is super too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another good and useful post. Bloggerlinkup -- have to look it up.

    Thanks ladies.

    Chris H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phyllis, I always love reading your posts and getting on board with your books, ebooks, and great advice and tools. Bravo for another great piece of information and real, practical ways to handle the juggling act between writing and promotion.

    Thanks,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Chris. Glad you liked the post.

    Hi Dianne. Thank you for commenting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all of the comments above -- I really appreciate them.

    As a writer or business person we have to change our perspective from feeling that we're "pushing" our wares to that we're "offering" our work/efforts to the people/audiences who can benefit from that work/efforts.

    And I feel that everyone should have the confidence to be a guest blogger with one caveat: Spellcheck and proofread your work (not the same thing) and use short paragraphs for blog posts.

    Phyllis Zimbler Miller
    http://twitter.com/ZimblerMiller

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phyllis, it is always a honour having you on my blog. You bring hope to an often frightening adventure. Marketing should be classified as the new horror. LOL. Just kidding. It's so much fun. Okay, that's stretching things. Marketing is "interesting". At least since meeting you, it's become that. Thanks for your continuing help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.