Thursday, September 30, 2010

THROUGH THE MIST

This is the view we woke to this morning. Predawn a low cloud of fog slowly skims the lake and drifts toward us. It dissipates by seven.


Do you remember the first hypothesis you were faced with in Philosophy 101? If a tree falls in the forest and you're not there to hear it, does it make a sound? I've been seeing this same view for over 18 years, but does that mean the view behind the fog is the same?


As the sun rises the view clears. I'm left with an overwhelming urge to turn my computer off and go outside. The garden needs winterizing. And like everyone else, there's never enough time to get everything ready. Especially since my writing also draws me. In the last week, I've felt a bound between myself and my protagonist RCMP Corporal Danny Killian.

 So, the question remains: Should I surrender to the urge to garden or the spell Danny has me under?

 *  *  *

The future of publishing:
http://www.pw.org/content/the_future_of_publishing

8 comments :

  1. Mmmm... I'd say, try to do both! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole. Thanks for the sound advice. So, that's what you do, eh? A little of both? I'm off to enjoy the sun, then I'll be back to do more work on my WIP. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Joylene - I finally am able to comment.

    I'd forgotten how lovely your place on Cluculz Lake is - even though I've seen several pictures. Waking up to that view is a gift, no matter what you decide to do with it.
    BTW, I loved your last blog on giving your characters PROBLEMS.
    I am still waiting on University of NM Press for my book, "Code Talker." It's currently under review with a "military expert." I can't tell you how nervous that makes me.
    Have a lovely day writing and gardening.
    -Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy! It's so good to hear from you. How have you been? Isn't waiting awful. But the "military expert" sounds impressive. I'm crossing fingers and toes and hoping they fit your needs. Meanwhile, take deep breaths in and out. In and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joylene,
    Yikes, you have gone quite prolific. I know how much you eagerly await my comments. So, I've backtracked to this one.
    I hope you did turn off your computer and savour the view, along with a bit of 'winterizing' (is that a real word?) of your garden. I reckon Danny could wait a while.
    In kindness, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gary. I did get out for a bit. It was a beautiful fall day. Incredible colours. I bet it's a phenomenal view where you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Breathtaking. We aim for balance. Definitely a little bit of both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura. I'm following your advice. Balance. That and ice-cream. It seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.