Saturday, December 4, 2010

Doing Nothing Can Be Healing.

I have absolutely nothing to say. Well, that's not entirely true. I understand now how kids can waste a day doing nothing. Or what we adults call "nothing".

I watched the eagles until my eyes crossed. Then I took a nap. But all day I carried my camera in my sweater pocket just in case. The first eagle passed around 7:10, but it was still too dark. I could hear them crying. A bald eagle flew by 10 minutes later; I ran outside, forgot my sweater, ran back in, forgot my slippers. In the shot he turned out as a tiny little dot. The rest of the day was like that. A bald eagle looked like a speck of dirt spot on my lens.

A golden eagle landed in my neighbour's tree. I knew he'd leave eventually, so I waited. My eyes began to water. If I blinked would he disappear? Sure enough. I glanced at one of my cats who was digging his prickly nails into my leg, trying to get my attention, and when I looked up the eagle was gone. How could he possibly know I looked away!

Sadly some of these photos aren't very clear because I shook from the cold. But the sunsets? Even I think I outdid myself.




Out in the middle of nowhere, one lone duck.Amazing.





I'm off to town for Christmas shopping today, but tomorrow no more photographs. I've got writing to do! I do understand how photographers become so obsessed over their work.

--Merry Christmas
joylene
ps. I no sooner declared my commitment to give up photographing eagles and two golden eagles and a bald eagle flew past together. It was amazing. 

16 comments :

  1. Those sunsets are fantastic Joylene,
    thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Paul. To break this fascination I have with eagles and sunsets, I'm off Christmas shopping. And as the women in your life will tell you, shopping cures everything. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're probably right that you have both bald and golden eagles there. And by now you must have collected a good selection of their photos! Those are fantastic sunset photos, too.

    Happy Christmas shopping today. I've had one day dedicated to it, but still have more to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol. I feel like an addict. I really need to apply some discipline and get some work done! LOL. Shopping, yuck, but it's got to be done. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful scenes. And what a blessing to have a day to do "nothing." Without those days the other days would be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying to photograph birds in flight is a time consuming pastime. I tried photographing turkey vultures in Michigan. The so-an-sos circled for hours - too far away to get a decent shot - until I put my camera away.
    Great sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joylene,
    Thank goodness I'm sitting comfortably. I read your first sentence and thought this cannot be true. And of course, it wasn't:-)
    I think you've done a remarkable job of trying to photograph those in-flight eagles. Superbly stunning photos and it's so gorgeous where you live.
    Take care eh and stay warm.
    In kindness, Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in awe every time I see your eagle photos! Shaking from the cold or not,they're awesome. Breathtaking.

    And, yes, you outdid yourself on the magnificent sunsets! Looks like pages out of National Geographic. You're quite a photographer!

    Thank you for sharing this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan. Yes, nothing days are wonderful. They certainly make retirement more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Bob. I checked out your blog. Very interesting. I hope you're keeping warm during the current blizzards. I'm putting my camera way and getting back to work tomorrow--for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gary. Yes, never fear, Joylene seldom stays quiet for long. My dad used to call me Josephina the language hyhena with verbal diarrhea. Did I mention his mother was born in Bath? She told me I had her dry sense of kooky humour. I'm going to try very hard not to look outside tomorrow. Instead I've decided to write 1000 words. Wish me good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, I wish I could take credit for the sunset pics, but it's my camera. That's why the eagle shots aren't as good; I have no idea what I'm doing. It's aim and click.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aim and click--oh boy does that sound familiar..

    I'm always in awe of the size of eagles. Growing up, seeing a bald eagle was an unusual thing. It very rarely happened. Thankfully, the population has increased, and there is a place near Sheffield Mills where they have eagle watches. There's a chicken farm nearby that feeds the eagles any of their dead chickens. It attacks quite a few.

    Beautiful sunset photos. What is more glorious than a red sunset and the promise of a sunny day ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember eagles when I was a child either. But we weren't near a lake, just the fast running Fraser River. Hi Laura. Thanks for stopping by. Hope your day is safe and happy. I promised myself that I'd write today. Guess we'll have to see. Maybe I should close the blinds?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Susanne. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.