Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fail Up: 20 Lessons on Building Success from Failure by Tavis Smiley

Tavis Smiley needs no help from me promoting his new book Fail Up: 20 Lessons on Building Success from Failure. I'm mentioning it for two reasons. One, Tavis self-published. In fact, he self-published his other 19 books too. Why? For creative control. He believes being self-publishing does not demean his work. He's never believed it has, not from book one to now. I like that. 

 
Two, I'm blogging about his book because of its theme. During an interview Larry King did with Tavis on the Tavis Smiley Show, Tavis said he learned to accept failure as his friend. He believes we all fail first, succeed second. Failure can be avoided, but for the most part it's inevitable. He believes it's how you respond to failure that matters. 

Everything Tavis said during the two-part interview with Larry King resonated with me. I thought about some of my biggest failures. I thought about how certain I'd been that I'd never recover. It wasn't until years later that I saw how those failures made me who I am today. Each time I failed, I had two choices: I could give up, or I could get up. 

Some might call it stubbornness. I say stubbornness is just another way of trying to do the right thing. It's what drives us as writers: doing the right thing, the best possible job we can do. Otherwise, we'd throw our books together and then sit back and hope our readers liked them.

Before I close and give you a chance to check out Tavis and Larry's interview, I'd like to share what Tavis' grandmother said, "It ain't no good luck, it's Good God." Tavis believes in blessings. I, for one, can't wait to read his book. 


Life is real! Life is earnest! And the grave is not its goal; Dust thou art, to dust returnest, was not spoken of the soul.  -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet. 

16 comments :

  1. Hi Joylene,
    This all seems most fascinating and Tavis' book will, I'm sure give you even more positive inspiration.
    I've always thought of my 'failures' as minor setbacks and in fact, my failures, gave me the determination to pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.
    I like to think I have no problems, only solutions :)
    Excellent and thoughtful posting, Joylene.
    Take it easy, my friend.
    With respect and positivity, your way, Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gary. I should probably admit I have a major crush on Tavis. His show precedes Charlie Rose. He also has the most interesting guests. And you can tell he really listens. I admire that in a man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Joylene, did you say something? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I knew you'd get it! Gary, you're a marvel, really you are! Of course, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star is a saint for putting up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Arf, arf!..Joylene, you cannot begin to imagine how trying Gary truly is. I tolerate him and he's fortunate I allow him to live with me.
    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, your way, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like his philosophy! If we stopped every time someone said 'no' to us, we'd never go anywhere. Few of us succeed in any endeavour on the first try, so learning from our failures is a good thing. Thanks for pointing me to his book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get a chance to listen to the interview. Tavis is a wonderful speaker and a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, that last comment was meant for you, Carol. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a book I should read, Joylene, shall look for it. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carole. I've already ordered it. Tavis is a gentle giant, a spiritual man whose message will surely lift up anyone who reads it, I'm sure. Thanks for stopping by, Carole. Hope your weekend is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How true it is we seem to learn more from the things that haven't given us the desired results. (I hate that word failure.) But "failure" is there for a reason as is everything in life. Sometime I'd just like to skip right to the sucess part first, see how that feels. lol!

    Most things in life really is a matter of perception. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura. Thanks for stopping by. I'll let you know what I think of the book as soon as I can. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the title and the message. What a great perspective to adopt. I heard a preacher say that failures are just stepping stones to get to where we're supposed to be. Thanks for the reminder and the link!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you, Karen. Have a wonderful week. Hope spring's on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the idea of creative control too. The vision you have might not be what the agent says in marketable. Of course that means you have to accept the other thing Tavis mentioned- failure.
    It's true what he says, though; it's how you respond to failure that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amanda. I agree. We have to learn to appreciate our individuality and what that means. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.