Saturday, April 2, 2011

Red is for Barn

Today on Hilary Melton-Butcher's blog, it's B is for Barn day on her quest for the A-Z blogging month of April. Her choice of subjects reminded me of our red barn when we were kids. A huge post and beam structure, it held 2 not-very-friendly steers, 13 horses, 3 potbelly pigs, and a loft full of hay.  The chickens were housed in another building.

 
My brother, sister and I, plus every kid in the neighbourhood spent many hours in that barn. We were swashbucklers, daredevils, ship captains, notorious highwaymen. We played hide and seek, hangman's noose. With superhuman strength we caught 100 lb sturgeons in the shadow creek by throwing a line from the loft. We'd dive out the loft door and land on a pile of hay as tall as a building. We were invincible.


A good distance from the house, our dad used to whistle from the backdoor when it was time for supper. Sometimes my brother would yell, "First one home gets the crust." Our mum baked fresh bread daily. But as soon as dinner was over and the dishes were done, we were back. Inventors of myths and legends, we were masters of our fate!


The old barn is gone.  A hundred homes fill the property now. But that's okay. As long as I can type, use iPhoto, and remember, that old barn will never disappear. And while it may leave me feeling teary for the old days, I honestly don't miss the smell of manure.

--Happy Editing!
joylene

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. "
 --W. C. Fields, American Actor

18 comments :

  1. Wonderful memories, I was there seeing you live out those childhood pretend adventures. We were running around the streets, scuttling back home at the sound of the air raid siren, but we still had those same adventures. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, of course, you played in a much different environment than I did. Dear Carole, I can't imagine. And yet, I can. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me to your barn for a bit. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Keith. Great backdrop for "Mind Shadow."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memory can be a wonderful thing. Not only that it allows us to shut out those memories that aren't quite so pleasant. lol! You made me think of the days when my sisters and brother would play in our grandfather's barn. Lots os fun back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful, Laura. Remembering your own memories is exactly what I wanted this post to do. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great memories! I love the character of old barns but there wasn't one in our family. The closest we came to a barn was a large log cabin near our Cariboo cabin, long abandoned and beginning to fall into the ground. For years it was a place where everything unwanted was stored until the rats eventually took over... definitely not a place where our children played.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that the same cabin that you ended up renovating, Carol? Or maybe it was a different vacation home? When I look at those old pictures, I'm back there in a second. Can't believe how fast time sped by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a huge barn Joylene, and I can imagine all the wonderful time you spend there. How nice it is to have somebody like your mother cook those delicious stuff - for very hungry kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joylene .. thanks so much for linking me .. or bringing the blog into your story .. and now you've got the picture for your 'wallpaper' .. amazing times you had as kids .. It's a particularly striking structure .. love the look of the red barn.

    Thanks so much .. last one in gets the crumb .. we had a bell that rang out .. if we'd 'disappeared' from view .. quite easy to do!

    Great post and lovely memories .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a fabulous barn! I love barns, anyway, and this one looks like a storybook barn to me.

    I recall jumping out of a hayloft at my grandparents' home. They had a great barn.

    Ours was different...no hayloft.

    The farm where I grew up still has that barn, but it's green now instead of red. Quirky.

    My brother owns the place, now, only the acreage has been sold off (when my mother was still alive, she did that).

    But the house, barn, and some other outbuildings remain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grandpa. Fridays were special because as Catholics we couldn't have meat. Our mother made a huge batch of fish and chips. I can still taste them. The coating on the halibut was perfect. Thanks for stopping by, Grandpa. Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so welcome, Hilary. Thank you for bringing our old barn to mind. Hope your Sunday is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Laurel. I had a wonderful childhood. Even when it was happening I knew it was special. Every kid in the neighbour reminded me of that if I forgot. My parents had to coax them to go home every night. It was great. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you believe, in all my life, I've NEVER been inside a barn? That is tragic, no? I always wanted to play in a barn. Oh, well, maybe someday. I enjoyed sharing yours today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy to share my red barn with you, Carol. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You asked if the cabin I mentioned was the one we renovated, but no it wasn't. We built ours from scratch across the creek from property my parents owned. The one that's falling into the ground was already there and long-abandoned when my parents bought their property in the mid-1940s. It had belonged to two brothers named Carnegie, so we nicknamed it Carnegie Hall. I'll have to dig out an old photo of it sometime. More recent photos have it pretty well overgrown.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, please do find the photo, Carol. I, for one, would love to see it. And judging by how many readers love their barns, I'm betting others would enjoy your photo too. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.