Sunday, May 8, 2011

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

My husband and sons are away working, but I still have much to be appreciated of this Mother's Day. Particularly the view:



 Through sheer determination and hunger, the eagle ripped his lunch from the ice. April 30th.


Nineteen years on the lake and this is the latest the ice has stayed. It's generally gone by April 25th.


Mallards swimming through the open water feels like a blessing.  

Better late than never. May 5th. It was a long winter. 


Every year you can count on somebody losing their dock.


Carmelita out kayaking on the lake is another anticipated sign of spring.


Patricia and her granddaughter are generally the first out paddling.

Mother's Day is a day to honour mothers, and I'm all for that. My mother, Gabrielle Francois Desjardins passed away October 1999. She tried very hard to live to see the new the millennium, but sadly couldn't. She was a good mother, compassionate, supportive, calm, and funny. And what a cook! During WW2 she performed for the troops with her sisters. They had a regular gig on the radio and were nicknamed The Winnipeg Lennon Sisters or The Three D's. 

Mum met dad at a dance in Winnipeg and fell head over heels. She gave up her career, moved clear across the country, and raised 3 children while my dad was off seeing the world. He stayed in the Navy after the war.

My mother dedicated her life to us. Our needs were more important than hers and were always met. Today when I see the word MOTHER, she's still the first person I know who epitomizes everything mothers stand for.  I miss her.

I hope you're able to spend today with your mother, or to at least talk to her. If it not, I'm very sorry.

However your situation, here's hoping the day is everything you want it to be. Happy Mother's Day everyone!

18 comments :

  1. I'm sure your Mother's watching over you today and every other day.
    Have a wonderful Mother's day Joylene and thanks for the latest photographs, they're always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Paul. Hope your day is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful tribute to your mom, Joylene. Sounds like she was a remarkable lady.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was a gentle, kind, and thoughtful woman. I was very fortunate.

    Thanks, Laura. Hope your Mother's Day is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mother sounds wonderful. No wonder you miss her. Thinking of you.
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Karen. Hope your day is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joylene, your mom sounds like she was a wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing about her.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Susanne. And thanks for stopping by. Hope your day was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tribute to your mom and to spring. And since blue is my favorite color, you know I'm loving all the shades of it in those photos.

    Hope your day was wonderful, Joylene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Keith. Of course, you're right. They're very blue. Didn't click in until you said something. Hope you guys are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Mother's Day to you, Joylene. It looks like it was a great spring weekend on your lake. I'm wondering if the ice is out on ours yet. When my parents lived there year round back in the 1960s they reported a couple years when the ice stayed until mid-May. Parts of our family often go up for a snowmobiling weekend or two in the winter but none of us ever tackle the road during spring breakup, so I've never been there when the ice left. I imagine it's quite a sight.

    Your mother sounds like a gem. I didn't have a particularly close relationship with mine until several years after I had married. Only after I had children of my own did I begin to appreciate how much she had done for me during my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol, I've heard more women say that about their mums, that they didn't appreciate them until they were grown. I think that's a normal reaction. We're so involved with our lives when we were young. I think I was a good daughter, but I could have done more. I wish now I'd be less moody. Luckily for me Mum understood me well.

    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joy, I love reading about your Mom. You know what, she sounds just like you---you are that kind of Mom too! How lucky your family is to have you---and I hope the realize now how wonderful you are.
    Hugs
    Katt
    BTW Beautiful pix!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joylene .. our Mother's Day is in March .. but I always appreciate her care and love - all mothers deserve our respect .. they tend to live for their family and others.

    The photos of the lake 'seeing off the winter' are beautiful .. and the little snippets of info ..

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and delighted that you have such wonderful memories of your mother .. so good to read .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I remember that Mother's Day in the UK is in March. Nice way to start off spring. Here it generally coincides with Easter. Have a fabulous day, Hilary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photographs! It makes me want to live on a lake!

    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog the other day!

    http://laurenspathtopub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lauren. Hope your Mother's Day was wonderful. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.