Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Thank you Julie Flett and Gail Bowen


It's official.  Broken But Not Dead went to press Friday. I sent awarding winning graphic artist and illustrator Juliet Flett a photograph of how I envisioned the cover and she came up with the end result. Thank you, Julie and Leanne. I love it. 



If you don't already know, Julie  is a Vancouver-based Metis artist, recipient of an award by the Canadian Native Arts Foundation Visual Arts Acquisition Program 1993. More recently she won the Christie Harris Illustrated Children's Literature Prize this year for her picture book, Owls See Clearly at Night: A Michif Alphabet (Lii Yiiboo Nayaapiwak lii Swer: L'alfabet di Michif) (Simply Read Books 2010). 


On the right, Book Buzzr, you'll see the temporary cover for Broken But Not Dead. The reason for that is because when Theytus created their catalogue to send to bookstores, there was no time to come up with a permanent cover for my title, and they had to improvise. This happens occasionally and it is why you'll sometimes find an online novel has a different cover than the one in the bookstore. I wondered about that. Now I know. 


Julie is also the sister of my editor Leanne Flett Kruger. We're keeping it in the family.





Yes! that's Gail Bowen's name near the bottom of the back cover above. YES! Gail Bowen, author of the Joanne Kilbourn series wrote the insert. One of my favourite all-time mystery authors! Wow!

 

I chose to self-publish my first novel, Dead Witness, despite the stigma of self-publishing. I knew I wouldn't be taken seriously in all circles, but that was okay. I also knew I'd written a good book. It's what led to Theytus buying my second one. 

FYI. Definition of stress: Build a house, self-publish a novel or sell your second novel to a publishing house.

Theytus is respected and renowned for producing great books. Will I do right by them? A few people think so. Gail Bowen thinks so. And while that's great to know, it doesn't diminish the doubts. But I  suspect doubt and fear come with the territory. I was raised to be seen but not heard. I was told never to blow my whole horn. Everything my parents taught me goes against what I'm now required to do as an author: promote myself. 

So what should I do? 

The first objective of any writer is to write. The second is to believe. The third is to be grateful. I'm all three and I'll do what it takes.

Happy marketing.
--
joylene
ps. A special thank you to Deadly Prose. 

28 comments :

  1. I do like the cover. Good luck with the launch Joylene,I'm looking forward to reading Broken But Not Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Joylene! Am excited for you! We should do an interview on my blog this summer. :) That way I can blow your horn and you won't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your kind words. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I'd love to be on your blog! Yes, let's do something for your book too. Great idea, thanks. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Joylene!

    And what a wonderful writeup by Gail Bowen's. You must be mighty proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. You handled everything like a master and many accolades to you for your past success and the wonderful things to come. What an inspiration. thanks for sharing.
    C.K. Volnek

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's exciting to have the end in sight, and wonderful to have Gail Bowen's endorsement as well. It doesn't seem that self-promotion is ever easy but you've already proved with DW that you know how it has to be done. Push the doubts aside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy. How's it going downunder? Thanks for good wishes. I'm so excited, and a little nervous. But I'll manage. LOL. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Charlie. Really appreciate it. I'm learning to take nothing for granted, that's for sure. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, Carol, I feel great, until I remember there will be reviews. Then I feel sick to my stomach. Silly, I know. And I'll get over it. Thanks for all your support.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome that the idea you submitted to Julie for your cover ended up looking so much like the final product!

    Many congrats on your book going to press! And many congrats on your second novel getting picked up by a publisher after your first novel did well as a self-publication. That says volumes about you as a writer, without you even having to toot your own horn.

    Can't wait to celebrate the release of Broken But Not Dead with you in about three weeks!

    And thanks for commenting on my blog! I very much appreciate your continued support!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, thanks! It's starting to sink in that this is really going to happen. It took me awhile. LOL. Thanks for your support. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a long time, Joylene, but I'm getting excited too. BBND was always too good not to be a success.

    My browser renders this cover image too dark to see any details, but the image you posted earlier came out a bit clearer on the same browser. I'll wait until I hold the book in my hands to get a good look at the image.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Chris. I couldn't have done it without you. The cover is dark, but it's a dark book. Thanks for everything, and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations and best wishes. We are happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, Anthony. Delicious looking lemon cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your second book. It sounds like a winner. Gorgeous cover. Just remember my mother's wise words--"She who tooteth not her own horn, her horn remaineth untooteth." Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joylene .. congratulations on getting it all done and out there .. the second is the one to concentrate on .. BELIEVE .. and you've done it .. that's brilliant to be accepted by Theytus ... and I love the cover .. that ability to create something new that fits is such a talent - I agree - good for Julie and Leanne ...

    The premise of the book sounds very interesting .. I don't like frighteners!! .. I shall definitely read though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the cover is beautiful!!! Perfect for the story! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks, Carol! I'm so excited! I wasn't for so long, and I think my family and friends were worried.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Will I do right by them? A few people think so."

    Count me in as one of 'em that thinks so. I like the cover, the story sounds great - but I KNOW the author is awesome. Go get 'em, Joylene! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, Mr. Ebright! Thanks! How ya doing? Still working like a dog? Hope you have time to write.

    Thanks for the support, Dave. Means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joylene, I am so thrilled to hear about your new book. Will you do right by Theytus? Of course you will! I just hope they do right by you. You deserve all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pat! Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just nervous. Instinctively I know I'll do okay, but occasionally doubts surface. I want all new authors out there to know that it's normal to worry.

    Thanks so much for stopping by, Pat. Have a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, almost here then. WooHoo! Proud of you, Joylene.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, my dear friend. Your help was immeasurable. Have a super weekend, Keith!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.