Monday, July 11, 2011

Broken But Not Dead, book tour highlights, pt 2

Day two of my book tour was met by wet, cold weather. If you've visited the Okanagan, you'll realize immediately how unusual that is. Generally it's 30C+ at this time of year. I don't function well in hot weather, so I was (bite my tongue) grateful for the lower temperatures.

If you haven't already heard the story, my stop at Overwaitea Foods (my first book signing) might seem strange. It's a huge BC grocery chain with a book section down one aisle. I owe a lot to Overwaitea, now called Save-On Foods, and couldn't imagine a tour without them.



Joylene and Lorna

Two and a half years ago, my bestfriend's (Judi's) beautiful daughter, Andrea, took a book in and suggested to her boss that she'd enjoy the read. A few days later, I got a phone call asking for more books because they'd like to stock their shelves. When I admitted I had no more books, she suggested I contact Nancy Wise at Sandhill Books.

Lorna, Joylene, Nancy
Nancy read Dead Witness, sent me a contract, and said to call Hignell Printers in Manitoba; she also recommended I query Theytus. The rest is history. It's also why I always include Overwaitea Foods in my book tours. FYI, Overwaitea got its name because the shipment of their tea was overweight.

Don and Noreen Sawyer, good friends from Prince George, who relocated to Kelowna a few years ago, came by again for a visit and some books. Yes, God bless them! They were at my last book signing at the same store in 2009.

2009

2011 - cute as ever, eh?
I know a lot of you are worried that you'll never find a publisher for your book. Maybe self-publishing isn't a feasible option or something that feels right for you.

Why some find success early while the rest of us work for twenty-seven years, is anybody's guess. I do know that if Keith Pyeatt  hadn't mentioned Lulu, I wouldn't have thought to print a few copies of my book for family and friends. Andrea wouldn't have taken one into her boss. And I wouldn't have known to call Nancy or Hignell.

Providence? Serendipity? Stubbornness? Maybe a little of each. But please know that if this can happen for me, it can definitely happen for you. Keep writing, revising, and learning, and I promise dreams can come true.

-- happy book tour.

joylene
ps. part 3 will be up in a few days. Meanwhile, tomorrow I'm a guest on Penny Ehrenkranz's blog. Hope you can stop by.

22 comments :

  1. This is all so cool, and I'm so proud of you!

    And I love that Judi suggested the book to her boss and they wanted to stock the book! Love it!

    Congratulations! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol. It was all so wonderful. Happy week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wow, it's a grocery store? That is a way cool place for a book signing. Not everyone goes into a book store but groceries are an every man's land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the wonderful thing was they were surprised to see me, nor were they afraid to approach and ask me questions. My best sales are always at Overwaiteas.

    Hi Laila. Thanks for stopping by. Hope your week is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joylene:
    Maybe I should make some friends in grocery stores as well. Glad Overwaitea work well for you...it must also be handy to get some snacks to much on if the traffic is quiet.
    I think your route to publication was more than serendipitous---you put in a lot of work and learning that has paid off. You deserve all the successes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris. You're another reason I'm here. I'm not forgetting how you were always there when I needed a keen eye, especially pertaining to the structure. Thank you, dear fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your book tour! How exciting - you have arrived as an author! :) Keep enjoying it - you deserve it!

    And thanks for commenting on my blog! Always good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren. I know, two books; who'd of thunk it.

    I love visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joylene .. such an interesting post - and how one thing leads to another .. amazing how you got published.

    Loved the story of the store too - no wonder you go back ..

    Have a great week .. and I look forward to the next instalment. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing!!!! I think you can have a book signing wherever your heart is at and clearly it's there! How special!!!

    It's my first time here and I'm very intrigued by your books! Off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with your tour. What a great way to think outside of the box and looks like it's paying off. Good luck!
    C.K. Volnek

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jen. Thank you for stopping by. I'm so glad you liked my post. Wouldn't be much fun otherwise. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Hilary. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it was definitely amazing how everything fell into place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlie, hi. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your kind words. Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just the beginning, Joylene... just the beginning. You're launching more than a book; you're rushing headlong into a wonderful career. I'm betting there will be many more installments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my. Carol, I feel slightly dizzy reading your comment. Part of me just wants to stay home, work on my stories, and take time to enjoy the lake and all the wild life. I know, silly me. Guess we all have to realize the reality of writing stories means marketing them too.

    Thanks, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful, inspiring story! Thank you so much for sharing. Everyone begins somewhere, but how many can say they got there start at a grocery story. Best luck with your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cher. Thank you. Your good wishes have cast a bright light on a grey day. Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do hope so, the dream bit I mean. Loved the photographs, and so pleased it is going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Carole. So nice to have you drop in. Thanks for the kind words. Hope your day is going extra well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your journey and encouragement with us! When I get as far as a book tour, you can be sure I'll be referring back for your advice. Best wishes for your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best wishes to you, too, Karen. I look forward with great excitement to your book tour. It's not far off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.