Thursday, July 7, 2011

BROKEN BUT NOT DEAD book trailer

I'm home from my book tour, but no closer to getting back to normal. I do have a slew of posts to share about my week, but my mother-in-law is seriously ill, so my attention is with her and my husband at this time. Vera is 95 years old. Two weeks ago she fell and broke her left wrist. She's right-handed so you'd think she'd be getting on fairly well. Sadly, no. She lives in an assisted living facility nearby and they'd prefer she use her walker when she returns. That's not the problem. Her wrist is healing nicely, but she's stopped eating. Every time we coax her to eat, I've tried baking chicken, cookies, even took in soft candy, she screws up her face and says, "You eat it." Apparently everything tastes greasy. Today I'm going to try a chocolate milkshake.

Despite outliving her husband, daughter, grandsons, Vera has always shared her quirky sense of humour with everyone she meets. I hope her spirit and humour show through in the photos below. 

 

Ever wonder why some live a few weeks while others live 9+ decades? Perhaps it's not as much about how they live their lives as it is about how we treat them while they're living.

Until we can get Vera settled back into her apartment or up at the manor, (she detests being in the hospital surrounded by sick people) I may not be reading your blogs on a timely basis. I realize that's not the be-all end-all, but I didn't want you to think my support has wavered in the least. I love all of your blogs. They feed me in more ways than I can possibly explain.


Have a great day/week, everyone. Happy blogging.

Here's the book trailer my publisher Theytus created for Broken But Not Dead. Their enthusiasm for my book is very encouraging. Can't thank them enough.



*our deepest sympathies to Gordon Tootoosis's family.

26 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law. Hope she soon starts eating. It is such a worry when they get up there in years. (My husband's mother will be 93 in September)

    I'm sure Vera's sense of humour has attributed in part to her longevity. I like the phot with the powersaw!

    I'll be thinking of you all and sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. It seems like good humor and positive attitude has gifted her so far with 95 years of a wonderful life. That is incredible. My inlaws passed when they were in their 70s, and I wish I had had more time with them. I hope she starts eating soon. My best wishes to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Laila. I really appreciate your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great trailer, Joylene! Glad you shared it with us.

    So sorry to hear about your mom-in-law. Pray she's back to her normal self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Karen on both accounts. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joylene,
    First of all, I have viewed your intriguing video and have linked it onto my Facebook profile page. Wishing you much success.
    And of course, your priority is seeing your mother-in-law, getting better. Hope all is better, very soon. The photos reveal a wonderful lady with a joy for life and a bit of a laugh.
    With positive thoughts to your family during this time, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Gary. I forgot to mention that Vera was born in Sheffield, England. Explains her great sense of humour, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Sheffield. I've met a few folks from there and had a right good laugh with them in a pub in Stoke on Trent.
    Sheffield is only about thirty miles from where I live.
    So yep, I can see where she got her great sense of humour, eh :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your MIL, Joylene. She sounds like a remarkable woman and I hope she's soon back to her usual self. Will add her and your family to my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also meant to say the trailer is excellent! And, in case you don't see my note on FB, my copy of BBND actually arrived today! I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Carol. I did see your note and I was cheering. Guess you didn't hear me. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your book trailer!

    My prayers are with your mother-in-law and the family. She seems like a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My best wishes to you and your family and your mother-in-law,Joylene. She humorous spirit does shine through in the photos.

    Intriguing book trailer. Your publisher did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joylene .. I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law .. she looks like some dynamic lady (even now) .. I guess her stomach's saying comfort food .. plain and simple, soups etc .. does she say what she'd like.

    I know my mother couldn't handle rich food when she became ill .. fresh raspberries ..

    I hope you can find something that makes her happy, and that you're able to help her to a better place than in the hospital. I'll be thinking of you.

    The book trailer is wonderful .. so right for the book ..

    All the very best and with lots of thoughts and a hug .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joylene,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL being sick. She looks like such a sweet lady. I hope she gets to eating soon.

    Congrats on your book tour! :) Nice trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Amanda. When we saw Vera last night, it was amazing the improvement. They put her on intravenous and she was so perky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Wendy. Grandma was put on intravenous last night and was quite perky. A little confused, but that's to be expected.

    Yes, I'm thrilled with the trailer. I like the understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Hilary. Grandma is on simple fluids, but still won't eat. We took her in a chocolate milkshake, and she had a few sips. She says everything tastes greasy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Adriana. Hope your weekend is wonderful ... and warm. We're still getting rain and more rain. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Intriguing trailer. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I hope she soon gets her will to eat back in order.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Karen. Your good thoughts are appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry that I didn't see my blog roll earlier to see your post.

    Prayers and healing wishes for your mother-in-law. Quite a lady she is!

    Please keep us informed!

    Hugs and love...Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Carol. Your good wishes aren't late. I'm passing them along today. Take care. Hope your weekend is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My prayers are with you and your family.

    The book trailer looks great, and the book sounds very interesting. Good luck with sales.

    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, Cher. And congratulations on your new book. That's wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.