Monday, August 15, 2011

book review: DAUGHTER AM I by Pat Bertram

  • Paperback: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Second Wind Publishing, LLC
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-13: 978-1935171195
  • Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.5 x 0.8 inches  
  • $15.95 (2009)
Synopsis: When twenty-five-year-old Mary Stuart learns she inherited a farm from her recently murdered grandparents--grandparents her father claimed had died before she was born--she becomes obsessed with finding out who they were and why someone wanted them dead. Along the way she accumulates a crew of feisty octogenarians-former gangsters and friends of her grandfather. She meets and falls in love with Tim Olson, whose grandfather shared a deadly secret with her great-grandfather. Now Mary and Tim need to stay one step ahead of the killer, who is desperate to dig up that secret. 

    Pat Bertram is a native of Colorado. When the traditional publishers stopped publishing her favorite type of book -- character and story driven novels that can't easily be slotted into a genre -- she decided to write her own. Second Wind Publishing liked her style and published four of Bertram's books: Light Bringer, Daughter Am I, More Deaths Than One, and A Spark of Heavenly Fire. Bertram blogs about writing and the writing life at http://ptbertram.wordpress.com

    DAUGHTER AM I, a review:

    Pat Bertram's suspense novel Daughter Am I is a journey in the true sense of the word. Though the story takes place in modern times and mostly on the road, members of Mary Stuart's entourage share fabulous tales of the Syndicate's power during her grandparents' era.

    As the synopsis suggests, Mary sets out to discover why her grandparents, people she didn't know exited, were murdered. Along her cross-country trek, she literally picks up a delightful assortment of characters all over the age of eighty. These octogenarians are the last remaining friends of Mary's grandparents and want to help in her search to find the murderer. But what Mary doesn't realize is not only do they offer wisdom into who may have been responsible, they provide Mary with insight into who James and Regina Stuart were. She gains an understanding of her grandparents she would have never acquire otherwise.

    Daughter Am I is a character-driven page-turner. Every person has a distinct and endearing voice. Their very persona jump off the page. Even the character of cold-blooded killer Iron Sam comes alive in a way most writers can only dream of creating. The dialogue is sharp and concise and very believable. The descriptions are familiar, yet crisp and original. The prose are smooth and straightforward, and not once did Miss Bertram use terms or language that pulled me out of the story. I was her captive audience for three days. I could have read it faster, but frankly, I didn't want to say goodbye to these wonderful characters.

    Daughter Am I is a novel of impeccable taste with characters you cheer for immediately. A dynamic novel that will have you searching for her other books: More Deaths Than One and A Spark of Heavenly Fire. 

    Daughter Am I was a great read. 
     
    Visit Bertram at:
    http://patbertram.com
    www.secondwindpublishing.com

    Happy Reading
    --
    joylene

     



    19 comments :

    1. Great reviews! My interest really shot up. I, too, miss character - and plot-driven books - have made notations on my TBR list. Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks, Kittie. I'm glad to spread the word. I haven't read Pat's other books yet, but I'm really looking forward to them.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Am I allowed to comment on a review of my own book? If so, I am delighted you liked it! "Impeccable taste." What a wonderful thing to say. Actually, the whole review was wonderful. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    4. You're very welcome, Pat. Thank you for writing such a wonderful story. I loved the ending.

      ReplyDelete
    5. It sounds like a great read. Thanks for your thoughts. I may need to add this to my tbr pile! :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi Karen. Pat's novel Daughter Am I stayed with me while I slept last night. That hasn't happened to me in a very long time. And it had the type of ending that I love. Good read, worth every penny.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Love books with characters you hate to say goodbye to!

      This book sounds good!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hope you get a chance to read it, Carol. There's a love aspect too. I liked it very much.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great review. Thanks for the book suggestion. I love books that hold you captive.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hi Cher. I hope you can check it out. I was thoroughly entertained. I could see the book made into a movie for sure.

      ReplyDelete
    11. This sounds intriguing...I'm curious to know more about the grandparents. As long as the girl fall in love I'm good.

      Joylene, I finally figured out what you were saying about the blog. I think I just need to updated my blog roll. Thanks for the heads up. :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Hi Laila. Glad you figured out what was up with your roll. That's happened to me too, so it's blogland related for sure. Have a great day.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Hi Joylene,
      That sounds like a fascinating and very cleverly thought out book.
      Very nice and informative review. I think it's marvellous how you promote other authors. You are such a nice lady, eh :)
      Have a great day.
      In kindness, Gary

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thanks, Gary. I need the Karma, plus I really liked this book. It had 80 yr old former gangsters. And a sweet girl who they all grew to love. There was a hunt for a buried treasure. What's not to love!

      Hope you're doing well. Still sending good vibes for your son. Hope he gets a decent job fast.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I love this book. What a wonderful review.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Thank you, Sun. I'm so glad to hear that.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Nice to see another review of this wonderful book.

      Malcolm

      ReplyDelete
    18. Lovely review of a lovely book. This one has such wonderful characters.

      ReplyDelete
    19. I agree, Sheila. I loved that they were all in their 80s and full of spunk. It was truly a pleasure to read.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.