Thursday, August 11, 2011

Books & Company: an evening of readings.

Spent a lovely time last night at Café Voltaire at Books & Company in Prince George. Several members of BC Federation of Writers were in attendance, a few reading from their current works. President, Craig Spence of Vancouver was in the area spreading the word about the federation.

I was especially happy when my son Ron, daughter-in-law Karen, and grandchildren Selena and Reece surprised me by showing up. I'm not sure why, but other than posting a brief note on Facebook, I hadn't really advertised the evening.

Vivien Lougheed, author of Forbidden Mountain read from her newest collection. In case you don't know, Forbidden Mountains describes the unforgettable journey of two women who embark on the ultimate adventure: to sneak into Tibet from northern Pakistan and cross the country via the South Route, largely unknown to outsiders.


Mr. Paul Strickland read two of his political satire poems. Just before his retirement, Paul gave me my very first interview ever after I'd released my thriller Dead Witness. Paul was a reporter for The Citizen.


Legendary writer Jacqueline Baldwin, poet, activist, mother, grandmother, actor, organic farmer, winner of ten literary awards for her poetry. Author of Threadbare Like Lace (1997) and A Northern Woman (2003).. yes, that Jacqueline Baldwin, read a hilarious story about a man and his love for his underwear.

My two dear friends Carmie and Miss Betty took me for dinner before the readings, In this photo we're standing with my beautiful granddaughter Selena in the Cafe Voltaire.

Thank you, Nicole Larson for one terrific evening.

Here's some additional photographs compliments of Vivien.

Craig Spence

Paul
Nicole
Nicole & Jacqueline

Joylene
Jacqueline Baldwin

12 comments :

  1. It's awesome that you posted this. How nice that your family showed up. So I'm going to repeat my question from yesterday. Do you get to pick what part you read from your book? Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Laila, meant to answer that. Yes, as soon as I know how much time I have then I know which scene to choose. More or less. In the case of last night I had 10 minutes, so I chose the last part of chapter 2. It's a bit dark though, and I wouldn't have chosen it if I'd known my grandchildren would be there. Although, my DIL didn't think it was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! Well, I've ALWAYS been proud of you. Always admired you, and still do, lady.

    You rock.

    Looks like such a good time, and what a wonderful experience. And glad your family was able to be there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joylene,
    What a fine gathering of talented folks and how nice some of your family surprised you by showing up.
    Nice to know the legend that is, Jacqueline Baldwin, was there to delight you with the story about a man and his love for his underwear.
    I reckon I'd be in love with my underwear, if I wore any. Okay, I'm kidding....
    Have a great day, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Thank you, Carol. You rock too! Hope your weekend is a blast.

    @Thanks, Gary. Glad you enjoyed my blog today. What am I saying. I'm glad you enjoy my blog any day. Have a wonderful weekend with your son and Penny the modest internet star.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting, you have your own fan club! :) What a nice surprise it must have been having your gang show up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, I never thought of it like that, but you're right, I had my own gang. LOL. Cute too.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Joylene! You look like a natural standing up there reading! It's awesome how many opportunities you're having to promote your work.

    And thanks so much for your comments on my blog! I really appreciate them and am glad that I'm not the only one out there sending tons of invitations on LinkedIn inadvertantly! HAHA!

    See you again soon! And congrats again on this book reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful evening! Thanks for sharing the photos.These events are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lauren, it's always been my favourite thing about blogging: writers like you who continue to inspire me. Thank you for all your support too.

    @Hi Laura. Yes, it was a fun night. I think I'll getting the knack of it. I was much more relaxed this time. Still nervous but I didn't suffer beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joylene .. great to see your son and family turn up as a surprise .. lovely photos .. and I'd have loved to hear the story re the guy and his underpants!! Great laugh .. and you talked?! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilary, yes! I talked. I surprised even me. It was a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.