Friday, November 16, 2012

I MISS YOU BLOGFEST

It's an honour to participate in the OH, HOW I MISS YOU BLOGFEST hosted by loving father Andrew Leon, the oh-so romantic Matthew MacNish, and our very own Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. It's a honour because it gives me the opportunity to introduce you to two special bloggers. One isn't blogging any longer, (he won't soon be forgotten) and the other is a very special fellow Canadian who is a privilege to know and who have brightened many a gray day here in blogland.

The rules for I MISS YOU are simple. I'm to list one to three blogger buddies who I really miss because they've stopped blogging, and one who I would really miss if they stopped blogging. Actually, that applies to everyone on my blogroll, but rules are rules so I've chosen one of each who has made my life better for having met them. In blogland, that is. Okay, I did meet Carol for real, but I'll get to that in a moment. Oh, and I picked only two to keep this short. My nickname isn't Josephina the laughing hyhena with verbal diarrhea--for nothing.

When you're finished here, you can visit our blog hopping hosts at:

http://strangepegs.blogspot.com/ - Andrew
http://theqqqe.blogspot.com/ - Matthew
http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/ - Alex

*  *  *  *

I met Grandpa through Klahanie's (Gary Pennick), who I met through UK Children's author Carole Anne Carr. I'm sure most of you know about Gary's quick wit and humongous heart, eh? If not, do pay him a visit. Gary's not on my list because I assumed everyone already knows him. He lives in jolly ole England, pens a wonderful tribute to "a man challenging his inner critic," is one brick short of a full load, has a few roos loose in the top paddock, and has a wisdom as rare as hen's teeth.Yup, he's a right dandy young feller. (Carole should be on my list too, but I'm working at keeping this short. Next time)

Grandpa's LIFE ON THE FARM was a wonderful blog about "Tales from the tropical rainforest, at the foot of the Malaysian main mountain range..." He aired his last post May 2, 2010, and every day since, I've been hoping he'll come back.

Grandpa took an early retirement to retreat to The Farm where he had fun growing fruit trees, playing with his grandson Irfan, and enjoying a quiet, tranquil life in the jungle. He could hear the river flowing and the birds singing, and he shared those things with his readers. I hope he's still there, whispering to his many tropical plants. Every single time I stopped in for a visit, I was soon lost in the wonderment of his world. His words were like resting pods where I could sit for a bit and forget all my troubles.


*  *  *  *
  
To illustrate the kind of a sweetheart Carol from CAREANN'S MUSINGS is, when she heard I'd be in Penticton in the summer of 2011 for the launch of my second novel, she had her dear husband Bob drive her down from their vacation in Salmon Arms so we could spend the afternoon visiting at my BFF's home in Kelowna. We'd been blogger buddies for several years, but hadn't met in person. Honestly, from the moment I lay eyes on her it felt as if we'd been friends forever.

I found Carol through the Federation of BC Writer's webpage during one of my many rite of procrastinations. Carol, wife of retired minister Bob, is a mother, grandmother, a free-lance writer, poet, and fiction writer. She's also quite a photographer. Carol is funny, adorable, wise, and generous. I'm actually a little nervous because I borrowed her profile pic without her consent. But I wanted this to be a surprise, so really--how could I ask?

Joylene: "Carol, can I borrow you profile pic?"
Carol: "Sure, why?"
Joylene: "No reason. I just, uh, well, I, ah...."
Carol: "Okay, spit it out."
Joylene: "Huh? Oh--thanks for the pic! Gotta go--I hear my cat calling me."

I think it'd be a earthquakie day in the Fraser Valley before I'd pull the wool over Carol's eyes.

I'd surely miss Carol's posts if she ever decided to stop blogging. She takes the most spectacular photos and always manages to making an association between nature and writing. It's truly remarkable how she does that. For instance:

“Three rules of work:
out of clutter find simplicity;
from discord find harmony;
in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”

Albert Einstein

Carol once wrote that the above is true in nature and in work, and then illustrated how.

*  *  *  *



To conclude today's tour, here's a photo I snapped yesterday of a dear friend, someone I'd miss watching if she ever stopped kayaking on Cluculz Lake. In our neck of the woods, all you have to say is "Singing Lady on Lake" and everyone knows you mean Carmelita.




If you'd like to read some more I MISS YOU blogs, and I hope you do, click here.

84 comments :

  1. I know Gary and Penny, but not Grandpa - yet!
    Thanks for participating in our blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you know Gary, Alex. It's a small world, eh? I have to go to the city for supplies, but I'll be home later to check out all the posts. Have a super day!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Carol and Gary seem beyond fantastic... what a great highlight. Thanks, Joylene. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan! Your choices were great too.

      Delete
  3. Great idea for a blog fest. I loved reading about these bloggers that I don't know all to well. Off to visit Gary and see what his pooch is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and wonderful shout-outs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joylene .. Gary is special .. but you've reminded me about another Grandpa - oh well .. my brain isn't that big!! I included Gary in honourable mentions and in fact someone who lives near a lake ..

    Cheers and see you soon - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. Always interested in new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful choices, Joylene! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whaaaattt? You 'borrowed' my pic? Somehow I think that's the least of my worries. ;) You tell everyone I always relate my nature posts to my writing... and then today I didn't. My reputation is ka-putttt!

    But truly, I'm honoured to be one of your choices, Joylene. You're a dear friend and I'm so glad we discovered each other. I haven't considered retiring from blogging yet, but after 4-1/2 years and 700+ posts I sometimes wonder if I have anything relevant left to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd miss you badly, Carol! And honestly, I think you've got lots of fascinating stuff to share.

      Delete
  9. Your grandfather was a blogger? Oh wow. How cool! And I'm a new follower, so nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having this blogfest, Matthew. It was a great idea.

      Delete
  10. Gary and Penny are familiar to me, but not the other bloggers you mentioned. Sounds like they have great sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get time to check out Grandpa and Carol. I know you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  11. Greetings Joylene,

    Almost three in the morning and I knew I must comment on this most thoughtful posting of yours. Hey, what's eight hours time zone difference between friends, eh!

    This is a most heartening blogfest that truly encapsulates the ideals of this sharing, caring blogging community. And yes, "Grandpa", oh how we miss his incredible stories of life on his Malaysian farm in the jungle and the good natured banter. I, amongst others, tried to make contact with him, all to no avail.

    As for your dear friend, Carol, it's terrific how you support each other and I know how much you wish your connection to continue. How marvellous you both have met in 3D reality. Did you two see Ogopogo?

    As for me, yes shy and humble me, I thank my lucky stars that I found out about you through Carole Anne Carr. For not only are you one heck of a great writer, you are one heck of a lovely human being. I duly note the above comments and I thank them for their kindness.

    The lake is looking calm and I'm feeling all tranquil. A wonderful posting, Joylene. Have a peaceful weekend, eh.

    Your starstruck fan, Gary. With an arf! arf! from Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Gary, it's a far far better world for having you, Penny, Carole in it! No--I didn't see Ogopogo! Darn.

      Delete
  12. Yes, thank you for sharing these bloggers! What a great blogfest this has been :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for telling us a bit about some new bloggers (to me, anyway). This has been a wonderful blogfest and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to meet you and thanks for mentioning these bloggers. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting their sites, yet! And isn't it fun finally meeting people in real life from the blogging world. So glad you found a friend in Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing these amazing people. I must head over to meet them as soon as possible. This really was a beautiful idea and I think we should do it more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice to meet you, Joylene. I've not heard of Gary or Grandpa before today--nor Carol. What a nice tribute to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Just about every blog I visited named bloggers I've never heard of. That's remarkable. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  17. I know Carole Anne but never read Grandpa. Interesting how we can read the same bloggers but take different paths from their blog. :-) Now, I will have to check out Carol's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I must check out 'Grandpa' - love reading fellow Brits blogs. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Claire, Gary & Carole are Brits, but Grandpa was in Malaysia.

      Delete
  19. Hi thanks for stopping by my blog. I have met Gary, he is indeed a lovely guy. I am gonna check out your links now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic idea for a blogfest! Too often, we think wonderful thoughts about people we know, but never take the opportunity to actually tell them and the world how much we appreciate them. You did a great job, Joylene, on expressing how much these folks mean to you in the world of blogging. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving this blogfest! Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful idea for a blogfest. Thanks for sharing these bloggers with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey,

    That was a very fun and thoughtful post - I hope your peeps get to read it - I'm sure they will appreciate it :)

    *LOVE* the pic of Carmalita... oh what story could she tell us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark. I've been trying to get Carmie to take a camera with her and snap shots of the swans and geese. She says with her luck she'd drop the camera in the water.

      Delete
  24. What fantastic tributes- they should be pleased :) Grandpa in Malaysia sounds amazing. Hope he comes back too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful tribute! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a very nice post, Joylene. I'm glad to learn about Carol and am off to visit her blog. That photo is beautifully serene.

    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. what inspiring people you know! and i love hearing about blog friends meeting irl. gives me hope to do the same someday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank so much for visiting during this fest! I follow Gary (and Penny) and Carol also. I love that picture you added here. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic post. What amazing folks! Love that snapshot. Thanks for sharing and for popping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a great tribute. Love the quote and picture. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. great list, and i love reading about each one!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the introduction to such great bloggers! They sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love that quote from Carol. I do know their blogs, but regretfully haven't been by as often as I should. At some point I reduced blogging in favor of writing my stories and being a better parent, but such is life.

    Thanks for linking us to them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PK. And I totally understand the switch in priorities.

      Delete
  34. Hi Jolene,nice to meet you.

    You are so lucky. There are more than a few bloggers, that I have been friends with for some time that I would love the opportunity to meet.
    Since I live in the Caribbean, it makes it a bit difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that! I'd definitely stop in and visit you! Course, the chances of me being in the neighbourhood are remote. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  35. I loved reading about all of these people in your life. Great to meet you and thanks for stopping in to say hi at The Write Game during this blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What wonderful picks! Glad you got in on the blogfest (you'd be missed, too)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, David. I'm looking forward to the next one honouring Alex. That'll be fun.

      Delete
  37. Hi, Joylene! I enjoyed your blog post. It's been fun visiting all the blogs that have participated in the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, I know you're taking a break, but I can't find your blog online. I received your package of goodies. Thank you so much. If you see this, let me know if you can.

      Delete
  38. Great list! I don't know many of these bloggers - I 'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kimberley. Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  39. I do not know any of these bloggers, but then again, that's what these Blogfests are all about.

    And thanks for signing up for the Alexfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got to meet them, Stephen. Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.