Saturday, January 5, 2013

Ask PZM: Jan 2013 - Sharing

If you follow my blog, then you know Phyllis Zimbler Miller, gracious marketing guru, answers questions on the 5th day of every month. This month it's about sharing. 

Thanks, Phyllis!
 

Q: Can you recommend good places to share blog post links?

As writers, we have the opportunity to use our skills to write blog posts that directly or indirectly promote our books. But writing posts is not enough – we do have to get our blog posts noticed.



Now we can write posts on our own blogs or write guest posts. (One good place to find blogs who might want your guest posts is BloggerLinkUp.com – I highly recommend this resource.)

In both cases we want to share our links as widely as possible:

One place is obviously Facebook. These days you can “promote a post” on your Facebook profile page for $7. This option is important because it increases the number of your Facebook “friends” who actually get your post in their news feeds.

If you want to share your blog post link with your Facebook “friends,” paying the $7 to promote that Facebook post can be a good marketing expenditure.

(You can also pay to promote a post from your Facebook Page, but as of this writing the option is only available if your Page has a certain number of “likes.”)

Of course, you can post your blog post link in your LinkedIn update and on some LinkedIn groups depending on the group rules. I manage the LinkedIn group www.LinkedInBookMarketing.com and blog post link updates are fine if the blog post is relevant for book authors.



You can also share blog post links on your Google+ profile as well as a Google+ company account if you have this.

If you have a photo in your blog post (and you should as photos attract people!), you can pin your blog post onto your Pinterest account. (I do this a great deal – see http://pinterest.com/ZimblerMiller) People can then repin your blog post photo (with its automatic accompanying link).

Always chose your more mature photo

My personal favorite place to share my blog post links is on Twitter. You can tweet your own links and then people can retweet your links.

Another place for sharing your blog post links is triberr.com – where you can choose to be in groups that share each other’s links. This does require a commitment on your part to share the blog post links of others.

Yes--sharing is good!

And then, of course, there are all kinds of special interest sites on which you can share your blog post links – or even the same post from your own blog. (I do NOT recommend you share a guest post unless you have explicit permission from the blog owner where the post was first published.)

One such site where you can re-publish your own blog posts is RedRoom.com, and another site is Business2community.com

As with all social media sites, the idea is to interact with others and NOT just push out your blog post links. An effective strategy is to share the blog post links of others so that your followers or fans recognize you as a good source of information and not simply someone “selling” his or her own posts.



Now for a warning I'd like to share:

 
Amazon’s KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) no longer supports third-party ebook conversion software such as Calibre. Now you must use KindleGen to convert your ebooks into the Kindle format.

After my business partner Yael K. Miller spent hours researching what this entails, she and I have now embarked on this complicated process. What was once a matter of a minute or less on Calibre is now hours of very detailed coding.
Why are we doing this detailed coding?

Because suddenly two of my ebooks got “reviews” saying that the formatting of the ebooks was lousy. This really upset me because I had taken such pains to ensure that my ebooks had good formatting.

After much emailing back and forth to KDP, I learned about this KindleGen requirement and the issue with no longer being able to use Calibre. As I frequently re-upload my ebooks to add additional information, I needed to learn how to make the formatting of my ebooks continue to look good.

This change also required my rewriting an entire chapter of the ebook TOP TIPS FOR HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR BOOK IN THE AGE OF KINDLE (and the same chapter in the 3-in-1 ebook TOP TIPS FOR HOW TO PUBLISH AND MARKET YOUR BOOK IN THE AGE OF AMAZON).




*  *  *  *  * 







Phyllis Zimbler Miller has an M.B.A. from The Wharton School, is co-founder of the Internet marketing company www.MillerMosaicLLC.com and is the author of fiction and nonfiction books. Visit her Amazon Author Central profile at www.amazon.com/author/phylliszimblermiller

55 comments :

  1. Glad I don't have to worry about eBook formatting.
    And I share my blog posts on Twitter, usually just once, and on rare occasions on Google+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you are Alex, Ninja Captain! Haha, knew you'd be my first commenter, Alex. You rock!

      Delete
  2. This was great info! My blog posts automatically post to Twitter and FB. I didn't even think about pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful, Jamie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Some good tips. I know a lot of writers often link to their posts on forums where they are members to drive up traffic.

    I generally link to my blog on my Google+ and on Twitter. I don't really get a lot of hits from those places, though, and I can't bring myself to open a Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously know what you're doing, Luanne. Good for you! Happy New Year, eh!

      Delete
  4. Hey Joylene and hey Phyllis,

    These are all really good tips and links. I utilise a number of them and just love to share loads of other bloggers links on the various social networks. Yep, even good old 'Farcebook', but I cannot see me promoting for an additional cost on FB. I'm happy be a rather um 'well kept secret'..

    Take care, eh and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I think word is out that you exist, Gary. That's partial Penny's fault. Haha. You rock! Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your advice, Phyllis! Formatting issues can be scary, which is why I happily pay my formatter the little he charges to have it taken care of. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you do need 400 likes on your FB page to be able to promote, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four hundred? Well, that takes care of that. LOL. Hi Adriana. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for that, very interesting information. Things to be aware of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the useful info on posting your blog. I will definitely check out Red Room. I post my blogs to StumbleUpon and have had one or two hits from there, in case it's of interest.
    Thanks again!
    www.helenafairfax.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info. Thanks. I will try and remember to use Linked In!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog and I've been enjoying yours. And a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the information, especially for the Pinterest part. I just added it to my list of places to wast-- I mean, spend time and am just about to embark on an image-heavy project. I am on a group blog, The Speculative Salon, and the acts of one benefit a lot of us.

    Thanks, also, for the information on Kindle formatting. I am just about to start that process and am relieved that I don't have to do it twice.

    Looking forward to next month's tips and the rest of the blogging here :-)
    m

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joylene,
    Thanks for sharing this information on your blog. This is top notch marketing advice.

    Celebrate you.
    Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post Joylene! Your subject matter is a most timely one for me.
    I look forward to reading more of your blogs!
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great information, and what a pain that Kindle made things more complicated. My two favorite 'sharing' sites are Linkedin and Twitter. And, I use StumbleUpon a lot - I get pretty good traffic from it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Karen. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing these great advice. I always share on Twitter and FB but don't get much traffic.

    Now, I'll use these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That "mature" photo is an absolute hoot!

    Thanks for the good information here. I'll hang onto it for future reference. Since I'm not really promoting anything but my name at present, I haven't shared my blog posts beyond Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting patiently for your photo book, Carol. I'll place it on the coffee table for all to see!

      Delete
  16. I try to place my links everywhere. I like the Blogger buttons that were added a year ago for easy sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year, Joylene and Phyllis! I've been known to leave cards with links and QR codes different places, and I've picked up quite a few followers that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also rock, Carrie, and that helps. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  18. I shall have to look into that guest posting site. Might be a big help right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I share on Twitter, FB & LinkedIN. Then I'm on Triberr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've got the who blog sharing under control. Thanks for visiting, M!

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the great info. I didn't know some of these sharing sites existed. And I didn't know Google came out with buttons a year ago. Will Google (LOL) how to get one. Yipes, what planet am I on? And, Joylene, I felt your smoothie pain. Girl, after the French fries escapade it was a bit before I could look at one. Hope you had a glorious holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The eBook thing sounds complicated. I've decided to hire someone to make my eBook work.

    Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sharing IS nice, and I so appreciate these tips! It's nice to get advice from someone who has tested these waters. Thanks, Phyllis for sharing, and Joylene for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent information! Thank you, Phyllis. And thanks, Joylene, for hosting her.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So much great stuff here. I love the "mature" baby picture... cute!
    Thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the info! My posts automatically post to Twitter and FB.Great!
    Promotional backpacks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great information! I hadn't heard about the change in KDP, but will pass that along to friends who have e-books up. That's sort of a big deal for people not to know!

    Shannon, visiting from Writing From the Peak

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great post, Joylene and Phyllis. Lots of good information. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is really great blog. i like it, please, just click here you won't be disappointedSafe Deposit Boxes. here are more stuff which you should read . it will help u guys i guess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.