Monday, January 14, 2013

THE NEXT BEST THING, #3

Tagged by my dear blogging friend, Cher Green, Footsteps of a Writer, I'm pleased to present you with THE NEXT BIG THING.

10 Questions about my Work in Progress:

What is the working title of your book?
 One Wrong... (as in one wrong don't make a right)
 
What genre does your book fall under? 
Suspense

What actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? 
For Jason Sinclair, I'd choose David Duchovny or Anson Mount:



Mike Canaday: aka David Cubitt

 And Brigitte would be portrayed by
Suleka Mathew



What is the one sentence synopsis for the book?
Jason Sinclair doesn't believe his wife's death was an accident and is bent on risking his life to prove it.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'll try traditional first because self-publishing can get expensive, not to mention the hassle with distribution. It's a lot easier to have the publisher pay to have the book printed and distributed. At least that's been my experience.
 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It's taken me forever just to write 50K. At this rate I should have the 1st draft done by the end of 2013. Slow writer is an understatement. 
 
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 
Get Carter, strange choice but I see the similarities. Despite everyone convinced it was an accident, Carter investigates his brother's death and discovers it was murder.


What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
Two things: 

First I love my characters. They're ordinary people (endearing) caught up in extraordinary circumstances. I even like my antagonist Junior O'Malley. The entire cast is very family-orientated. 

Second, the settings are spectacular. If you've never been to Vancouver's Gastown, I hope you enjoy the tour. As I'm sure you will in Stow-on-the-Wold.


Now it's time to tag a few authors and see what their next big thing will be: (if your name's below and you'd rather not participate, not to worry)

Carole Anne Carr 

Elsie The Writer 

Gloria Sigountos  

Al Diaz 


62 comments :

  1. Don't worry, I'm a slow writer as well.
    Dig the title. And Duchovny would give it an X-Files feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quick synopsis. You're always so good at writing those. Sounds like a great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I like Duchovny as character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved hearing about your book. One Wrong sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Very, very interesting! Sounds like something I would enjoy. Regular people, extraordinary circumstances. Just like I write. And I love the title.

    Well,, what are you waiting for? Go...get writing! Hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story sounds very interesting. I'd vote for the guy in the #2 spot from the top, not a fan of Duchovny.

    I know Gastown, and it would make a great setting. You've piqued my interest. Good luck with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like Mount too. Thanks, DG. Hope the rain's stopped down there in beautiful Vancouver.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Joylene, it's more like light rain-snow now. Had to do a few errands. At least, no falling icicles off the Port Mann today.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much, Joylene, for giving me the opportunity to talk about my work. Much love, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Caroele. I hope it's a huge success.

      Delete
  8. You're everyone's favorite! I'm a slow writer too. It takes as long as it takes to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Joylene,

    Yes, it's me, your humble servant :) I'm fascinated with what you are writing. And yay, I've been to Gastown on several occasions. I remember that Friday night at "Pharaohs Retreat" and this young lady and...never mind....Ah yes, Stow-on-the-Wold. Nothing like a village in the Cotswolds. Good choice, Joylene! When this book becomes a blockbuster movie, you know I can act.

    Your starstruck fan,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an interesting read. :-D I like the actors you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the title of your book! Best of Luck.
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most interesting. I shall look forward to reading ONE WRONG, someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Hope things are going well down-under.

      Delete
  13. LOVE David for your cast:-) Can't wait to read it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great project. Thanks for sharing. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's nothing wrong with taking your time! I'm sure it's going to be wonderful. :)

    P.S. I love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the title! There's something about "One Wrong" that pulls the mind in with the eye, not an easy thing to do. Big applause, Joylene. Everything I read above sounds like a winner. The ingredients are definitely there. You're smart to take your time and let the seasonings mellow. You've got a great fan here who's gonna savor another one of your delicious reads!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joylene, it sounds wonderful!
    I have yet to read your other stories... one of these days I'll get the chance to do so!
    And I write super-slow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised at how many authors write slow like I do. For some reason I thought I was way behind everyone else. Just goes to show.

      Thanks for visiting, Michelle.

      Delete
  18. I'm extremely slow! I've been working forever and a day on my first book, I didn't even realize it was a book, I'm writing it so slowly!

    A tag! A tag! I'm on it - thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to be so very fast. Now I'm soooooo verrrrrrrrry slooooooooooow. Aw well. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun tag! It's a great idea. This would be a good exercise for my WIP. Glad you shared this, Joylene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fun! It made me really curious about your book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just want to add that I've begun reading Huntress Moon and WOW, what a super read, a real page-turner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the photo choices for your characters. Does help define the physicality of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these types of posts and the actors people choose for their characters. I'd choose Duchovny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed the synopsis. These seem like great characters.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. From what I've heard, a lot of writers are shy and awkward in social gatherings. I am starting to think it is a trait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Thanks, Jack! Nice to see you back.

      Delete
  27. Thanks for sharing. I liked David Duchovny in his X-Files days and wouldn't mind seeing him on a screen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Wonder what he's up to. Thanks for visiting, Cynthia.

      Delete
  28. Hi, Joylene. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like both the title and the synopsis. Now I'd like to read the book! Best of luck with it!

    It seems I'm a slow writer, too. I think if I went back to taking my efforts seriously the current wip could have been finished long ago. This has been a strange writing year for me... very jack-rabbity. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange for me too, Carol. But getting better. Thanks, eh.

      Delete
  30. I liked your characters so your story would be interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.