Friday, February 8, 2013

WHat ARe yOUr 18 THingS?


I know I said I was only going to blog once a week, but today is special. I'm doing a shout-out for my blogging friend Jamie Ayres. If you don't know already, Jamie's newly released novel 18 THINGS (prologue here) was an instant best-seller on Amazon. 18 THINGS outranked James Patterson's The Kiss!

I mean--how fabulous is that!

In honour, today I'm going to attempt to add 18 THINGS to my bucket list. Why I never had a bucket list until now is bizarre, but there you go. Never too late.

18 THINGS - Book Description:


Can eighteen things save a life?

Olga Gay Worontzoff thinks her biggest problems are an awful name (after her grandmothers of course) and not attending prom with Conner, her best friend and secret crush since kindergarten.

Then, Conner is killed in a freak boating accident and Olga feels responsible for his death.

When she downs an entire bottle of pills to deal with the emotional pain, her parents force her into counseling. There, her therapist writes a prescription in the form of a life list titled "18 Things": eighteen quests to complete the year of her eighteenth birthday.

All she has to do is fire-walk, try out for the cheerleading squad, break a world record, and err . . . go on her first date. Good thing Nate, a new hottie in town, enters her life with perfect timing. He brings the fun factor to her list and helps her discover the beauty and
strength inside herself, then complicates things by falling in love with her.

But there's more to Olga's quests than meets the eye and when her therapist reveals a terrifying secret, her world is shaken.

There's only one thing she knows for certain: her choices won't just affect her future, but all eternity.

Jamie's actual blogfest is over now, but I say never give up the opportunity to do something fun along with a shout-out of an awesome writer. 



Hope you'll check out Jamie's blog and learn more about her and 18 THINGS.


Now for my 18 Things:

1.  Sell our house for a fair price and move to New Brunswick.

2.  Sign a copy of my book for Eric Lustbader. (in person)

3.  Attend a Geneen Roth retreat.

4.  Meet with medium John Edwards and hear how our twins are doing.

5a.  Finally meet Keith, Chris, and Vicki, my awesome critique buddies!

5.  Visit UK, Europe and Russia. (meet Penny, Jack Russell dog and internet superstar)

6.  Take a course in tiling bathrooms and floors.

7.  Attend a cooking class in NYC.

8.  See Barbra Streisand perform live, then get autograph after show.

9.  Sign with Literary Agent Donald Maass. 

10. Live close to a gym I enjoy and erect an outstanding exercise room in my house. 

11. See Adam Beach in starring role in film version of Omatiwak: Woman Who Cries.

12. Learn how to ice skate and roller skate. 

13. See Olga Kurylenko star in the film version of Kiss Of The Assassin.

14. See Tina Keeper in the starring role of Brendell in Broken But Not Dead.

15. Take a 6-month writing sabbatical to UK.

16. Win the Giller Prize.

17. Visit Australia and New Zealand, then trek over to Vietnam.

18. Be interviewed on TV by George Stroumboulopoulos and Charlie Rose the following week.


Who would have thought this was so addictive.

More:

19. Visit the Vietnam Memorial Wall. 
20. Have a makeover.
21. Get my teeth capped. 
22. Teach T'chi at a community hall in N.B. 
23. Visit Newfoundland.
24. Kayak in Caribbean.
25. Take a Caribbean cruise. 
26. Attend a writer's retreat in NYC, Surrey, and Maritimes. (different times)
27. Have a family reunion somewhere warm with my entire family.
28. Sell a million copies of each novels. <g>
29. See Eagles in concert. 
30. ...  

I better quit, or this could go on forever...



58 comments :

  1. I like your list - very specific.
    Yeah for Jamie! She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the list, and yes, celebrate for Jamie. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I'm a bit partial to #5 share many of those. I don't know the stars mentioned in #11, 13, and 14, but I want to see movies of your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. You've probably seen Adam Beach in lots of stuff. He was the Aboriginal cop on Law & Order, SVU. He starred in Wind Talker, Flags of Our Fathers, Skinwalker, to name a few. Skinwalker was based on the novel by Tony Hillerman.

      Okay, enough with the trivia!

      Delete
  4. Ooo, a gym near-by would be nice. So would the traveling... and I could use the tiling class too. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T. Loved your IWSG post! Outstanding.

      Delete
  5. If you go to New Zealand, are you gonna travel through the cave that has the glowing worms in it? I heard it's one of the best sites to go and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glowing worms? Hmm. Are they big? Haha, Michael, I'm a little shy when it comes to creepy crawling things.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to go to Russia! New Zealand is on my travel list too. I hope you post pictures and stories as you accomplish each of these. :)

    Any kind of writing retreat sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the writing retreat, I agree. We have one here in the north at a chalet that is fabulous. Dreamy, in fact.

      Hi, Sara. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. I also want an awesome exercise room in my house. Lol. And I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand (a.k.a. Middle Earth!)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to see a Eagles concert. And have dinner on the Eiffel Tower, and see the Egyptian pyramids... I go on and on. And to think, I thought listing 18 things would be difficult.

      Thanks for stopping by, Ashley.

      Delete
  8. Joy,
    I think I'm too old to have a very long bucket list....however one of the things on it would be to get an autographed copy of your latest book IN PERSON.......how cool would that be?????
    Hugs
    Katt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, Katt. But once I started, it was sooo easy. In fact, it would have been a very long list if I hadn't reined myself in. Who knew I would ever want to visit a dentist again!

      Delete
  9. If you visit NZ I hope you come and visit me. And I hope number 4. comes to fruition - Meet with medium John Edwards and hear how our twins are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Wendy. Yes, #4 is up there. Actually, I didn't put the list in order of preference. When I get to NZ I will definitely come and visit!

      Delete
  10. Hey Joylene!

    You can take it easy now, eh. Yes, I've arrived to delight, enchant and bring world peace. Anyway, 18 and I don't know what I want. Alice, yes Alice told me to say that. What a guy Alice is.

    Did you know that just like you, I'm a starstruck fan of Jamie's. I shall see, if I'm not too shy and visit her blog. And blogfests...do not get me started on them!

    In your list, Joylene, I note your desire to meet Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar and yes, the next 'Paw Minister', is not on your list. "It's okay Penny. I shall give you an extra doggy biscuit!"

    New Zealand and gidday. Big party at Wendy's house!

    Take care, eh.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rectified--rectified! Gary, if you look closely, you'll see I've updated #5a. Fixed. Phew!

      Honestly, once I began my list, it was amazing how many things came to mind. Especially the stuff I no longer care about that ended up getting erased. What an eye-opener. Yes, prior to that my eyes were closed.

      I love you, Penny!

      Delete
    2. Hi there, human Joylene,

      My ridiculous human, Gary, is having a lie down. Which means, I've taken over! Thank you for rectifying your list. I see you included me, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! That makes me happy because I was real sad earlier.

      I love you also, my human friend.

      Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses,

      Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! xx

      Delete
    3. Penny, don't tell Gary, but when I put up #5 UK the first time, I was thinking of you and Gary.

      Delete
  11. Hey, better late than never, Joylene!! I enjoyed learning more about you through your list, and I share lots of those desires:-) I hope we can meet in person one day at a writer's conference *fingers crossed* Thanks for all the support you've given me with my debut--I shall never forget it~you are AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really would be awesome, Jamie. Happy 18 THINGS!

      Delete
  12. Great list! I hope you get to cross every item off!

    This sounds like a good book--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your list! Can I please come with you on those writing retreats? ;) Btw, I used to watch the John Edwards Show when I was in high school. It was amazing. I hope you get to meet him soon!

    I love Jamie's cover! Jaw-droppingly beautiful. And the book sounds intriguing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jamie's book sounds great. Thanks for sharing! I love your list, Joylene.

    Giller Prize winner, hey, I want that one, too. I might just have to make my own list now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's addictive, Laura. Once you start you could be at it for a while.

      Delete
  15. Hooray for Jamie. Epic! Great list - I'm all over Australia and New Zealand with a swing by Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland, of course! Then Wales! Thanks for visiting, Leslie.

      Delete
  16. That actually sounds like a really good book. I'm going to have to see if I can find it somewhere.

    Going to Russia is always good...avoid the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only Canadian bacon for this girl! Thanks, Jack.

      Delete
  17. I read the prologue to Jamie's book. It's awesome! As are your 18 things. Gosh, but I learned so much about you and your spirit for adventure. But I felt a pang about the twins, only consoled by thinking they're in God's hands. Hugs!

    Thanks for your help, Joylene. You're a sweetie. But I had a bit of good luck on our trip to Pinehurst. Through a chance encounter through someone my niece knew there, all worked out. This wonderful young man spent 45 minutes sorting through settings and so on and figured out I'd clicked something I shouldn't have and righted the ship. I was over the moon when he got a photo on my header. Oh, but it's the little things in life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked out, Kittie. One does need a good header these days. Haha. Ah the joys of technology.

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful list, Joylene! The only one of those things I've done is #19, and it was deeply moving. (My father is a 'Nam vet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son is a Canadian Army sergeant, and he's been there. Took pics for me because he understands it means a lot. Just not sure why because no one I know died in VN. I think my obsession is because it was such a big part of my generation.

      Delete
  19. Wow, that must of been an amazing moment for this author. Interesting prologue. Loved your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cher! Thanks for hosting me this week.

      Delete
  20. I love your bucket list Joylene!
    Jamie's book cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no, now why why why did you make such an awesome list? I'm going to have to add more to my list to incorporate all the wonderful ideas your list sparked for me! Glad you let the world know about Jamie's 18 Things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. Hope you make a list. I sure felt better afterwards. I'm once again inspired to do something outside of survive winter.

      Delete
  22. BBC Sherlock is addicting. I love the first series, the second is good, but right now the first is my favourite. But, as you said, it is disappointing it takes them so long to get a new series out. They've only just now started filming. It must be because they share their actors with just about every movie out there. (Not that MF was born to play Bilbo. So that delay might have been worth it.)

    Monk is a great show, I really like that one and plan to finish it as soon as I'm done with Psych. I've never seen Mentalist, I will have to look that one up. And see if I can find Silence of the Lambs. I've actually never seen it, which is surprising. And if it has the fellow from Monk in it, I think that is likely only to make it better then I've already heard it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In its day, Silence of the Lambs was one of a kind. Now there are so many duplicates. Thanks for visiting, Jack!

      Delete
  23. How nice to learn so many things about you! I'm a bit of an Anglophile too. Oh--and tag you're it. I nominated you for an award on my blog. (You may find it a bit redundant after the post you just did though.)
    With my compliments and apologies.
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. I like awards regardless. Off to collect. Have a great day.

      Delete
  24. What an intriguing book! It's got me curious! :)
    And now I want to make my list of 18.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome success on that book! And no wonder, it's a terrific topic.
    Love your list - I'd join you on quite a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an amazing book! I want to write my 18+ things :)

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, congrats to Jamie! That is something! :)

    You've got me thinking, Joylene. I may have to make up a bucket list too, for I've never done one either. I'm thinking it needs to include a visit with a sweet blogging friend from Canada, whose name is Joylene...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, what a nice thing to say, Karen. I feel the same way. Happy Wednesday!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.