Wednesday, May 4, 2016

IWSG: My Wish & Cover Reveal



It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. We encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. 

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG


The awesome co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG will be Stephen Tremp, Fundy Blue, MJ Fifield, Loni Townsend, Bish Denham, Susan Gourley, and Stephanie Faris! 

Please stop by and thank them for their contribution. 


It's a very exciting time for Insecure Writer's Support Group. 
Yesterday, Parallels: Feliz Was Here was release! Congratulations to all the talented authors:



Parallels: Felix Was Here
An Insecure Writer’s Support Group Anthology


Enter the realm of parallel universes!

What if the government tried to create the perfect utopia? Could a society linked to a supercomputer survive on its own? Do our reflections control secret lives on the other side of the mirror? Can one moment split a person’s world forever?

Exploring the fantastic, ten authors offer incredible visions and captivating tales of diverse reality. Featuring the talents of L. G. Keltner, Crystal Collier, Hart Johnson, Cherie Reich, Sandra Cox, Yolanda Renee, Melanie Schulz, Sylvia Ney, Michael Abayomi, and Tamara Narayan.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will expand your imagination and twist the tropes of science fiction. Step through the portal and enter another dimension!


Release date: May 3, 2016
$14.95 USA, 6x9 Trade paperback, 218 pages, Freedom Fox Press
Science Fiction/General ( FIC028000) and Fiction/Alternative History (FIC040000)
Print ISBN 978-1-939844-19-4 eBook ISBN 978-1-939844-20-0
Order through Ingram, Follett Library Resources, or from the publisher
$4.99 EBook available in all formats

“Pensive and manifold views into parallel earth not without a glimmer of hope.”
- Edi’s Book Lighthouse


Founded by author Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers support for writers and authors alike. It provides an online database, articles and tips, a monthly blog posting, two Facebook groups, and a monthly newsletter.

 

Freedom Fox Press 

A division of Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C.

P.O. Box 383, Pikeville, NC 27863-0383

inquiries@dancinglemurpressllc.com

Print-


Ebook-


Other Links-


We've been telling you for a long time that IWSG Wednesday is a safe environment where you can share your fears and your joys without trepidation. No one's going to judge you. 

We all have insecurities. My generation was reared to believe that airing them was wrong. Thankfully, we taught our children differently. No subject is off limits. Yet, I still struggle with admitting that I'm insecure. I have been my entire life. Unfounded, but those insecurities are a constant companion. I'd like to believe it's one of the reasons I am a decent storyteller. 

In October, my third suspense novel will be released.




I'm extremely happy. More than that, I'm filled with gratitude. To the point that the thought of another published novel chokes me up.

[deep breath] 

There's a lot to be done in preparation for Mâtowak's release. I know what's expected. I've done this twice three times (Dead Witness twice). Not while we're trying to sell our home of 24 years and then moving 3000 miles east. Simply typing that statement takes the wind out of my sails. 

If I was unpublished and reading this post, I'm not sure I'd be sympathetic. Hard to feel sorry for someone who's been published more than once and who spends the winter (6 months) in beautiful Bucerias, Nayarit. Poor thing!

(There are a lot of I's in this post) 

So, although, I don't feel comfortable sharing my fears:

I'm worried no one but my publisher and friends will like Mâtowak Woman Who Cries.
I'm worried that third time isn't a charm. 
I'm worried I can't do it all: market, blog, keep the house spotless, clean, pack, write... 
I'm worried I'm boring. 
I'm worried my muse will dry up. 
I'm worried that apart from writing novels, I am talentless. 
I'm worried I use that unnecessarily.
I'm worried I'm full of cliches today, sorry. 

What I'm trying to say is I understand where you're coming from. I'm cheering for you no matter how many insecurities you have. We're in this together. Thanks to Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh. Stick with IWSG and I promise we'll do everything we can to help you reach your dreams. And while you're up and coming, we'll be here if you need to share anything: fears or successes. 

Happy Writing. 


54 comments :

  1. I think there will be a lot of people who love this book! And we'll give it the best shot possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "[...] those insecurities are a constant companion. I'd like to believe it's one of the reasons I am a decent storyteller."

    I think you're on to something here. Our insecurities create conflict in our lives, and stories thrive on conflict. Maybe our insecurities are an advantage after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Contrast in life as in fiction adds volumes to our lives. Conflicts/contrasts are a good thing. Thanks, James.

      Delete
  3. Hi Joylene - we need those insecurities - they spur us on - but good luck with all you've got going on ... love the idea of the new book.

    Good luck with the sale, and the move east ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hilary. Thanks for your continuing support.

      Delete
  4. After four books and several anthologies, I still get nervous as well. Just do everything you can and don't worry what you can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. And thanks for all you do for struggling writers.

      Delete
  5. First of congratulations on your next book release. I understand your nervosity. I sing here in Europe and even though I have been doing it for years, I still have stage fright. So see your nervousness as something that keeps your creativity and hunger to write at their best.
    All the best and hope you have a good relocation.
    Shalom,
    Patricia @ http://www.patgarciaandeverythingmustchange.com/2016/05/the-second-milestone-iwsg-article-may-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've really been through the wringer these last few months. You have an incredible lively sense of humor that bursts out without warning. I suspect it is a release valve for your insecurities and the fire that drives your creativity. Your story telling and imagination is without equal. Remember to breath and tell yourself, this to shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Lynn. From your keyboard to my brain. Have a lovely French countryside day!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations again, Joylene!
    Your third book? Wow! That's something to be proud of! I love the cover and the title. I have a feeling that I will love this book...suspense is my FAVORITE genre, after all...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that. Because you write suspense! Thanks, Michelle!

      Delete
  8. I agree with all your worries. In fact, I stopped doing the housework to whittle down the list. Are writers supposed to be neat besides living in another world? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if they're trying to sell their house so they can live the life! Haha. Otherwise, no. Thanks, Jacqui!

      Delete
  9. I think a lot of people are going to like. Great cover for that genre. Cheering for you. I think it is wonderful you get to do all those things and live life the way you want. Wishing you much success in the endeavors. You will learn so much every one after will get easier and easier, don't know about the worries, but smooth comes with practice.

    Did you see Maggie Shayne's comment on my blog when you visited? It was the first comment.

    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juneta. I'm coming back to read Maggie's comment.

      Delete
  10. How encouraging to read your post, Joylene! I'm visiting as an IWSG co-host today, although I enjoy your posts any day! Congratulations on the upcoming publication of your third book, "Mâtowak Woman Who Cries." I am excited for you! Thank you for sharing your insecurities. Seeing you move forward and overcoming them is inspiring. I had to google "Bucerias, Nayarit." I had never heard of it before; it looks wonderful. Good luck with selling your home and moving. You'll get through it all! Look what you've accomplished already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate that. And I appreciate your visit. It's a small world, eh? Happy IWSG day!

      Delete
  11. Good job with your new release! That is pretty darn cool. I know I feel a lot of the same insecurities you do. Still, you've done so much. I hope you feel proud too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. Thanks, Loni. Have a great Wednesday.

      Delete
  12. Aloha Joylene. Thanks for sharing your story and your insecurities. I discovered yesterday that a new friend I have in Estonia, who approached me with the idea to co-create a workshop together - I found out that she is so accomplished in every way - may prizes, awards for her books, movies and so on. I felt suddenly so small. Yes I have had my share a bit too, but it felt so overwhelmingly many she had. So my mind started to really compare and I think that is where we get in trouble. Because we should not compare. We are all unique. So maybe I have not yet published my masterpieces, but I have worked with hundreds of people all around the world and inspired them to be who they really are. ;) that counts! countless blog posts I have written during the past 3 years also count! I could publish a whole thick book out of it. And when it comes to success. I had once a test - to live in Hawaii for 3 months at the time. First time my mind freaked out - no way- it is so expensive there. But I did it - in the end housesitting many houses and having a blast! Then the second time came and the third. And when the third one came - i thought - i must have been just lucky to have all that. i wonder if the third time would still work? It did. Because I believed in myself. Sometimes that is all what you need to do;) So happy preparation and launching. I am here to support if you need me;) Many hugs from your beloved Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back at you. Thanks, always, Crystal for your support. You are a wise soul. Please give my best to Mexico. Beloved, is right!

      Delete
  13. I do believe our insecurities make us good storytellers. Writing is your talent, so don't discredit it. I love the cover for your book. I have a feeling it'll gain a lot of momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm unpublished in fiction and reading this, and I AM sympathetic. My insecurities are longstanding and (usually) well hidden.

    I suspect, as you've said, all writers, even the multi-published, have insecurities. The birth of each book is a unique experience, which is in itself unsettling. There's a whole lot more stress to the process this time because of your impending move, but I hope you can muster the confidence to know that your writing isn't something you should be worrying about. You've already proved yourself as a fabulous storyteller. Mâtowak: Woman Who Cries will be wonderful. Congratulations on its great cover.

    Congratulations, too, to the IWSG on the release of their new anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I hope you do consider publishing one day. I'll be here.

      Delete
  15. Freat for you and your third release Motaawak! I'll be happy to help promote your book when the time comes.

    May 2016 IWSG Co-Host
    May the 4th Be With You
    Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen! I'll take you up on that offer!

      Delete
  16. I already love the cover of your book and have no doubt it will be a great read. Congratulations on #3! You are right, we are all in this together and I feel so fortunate to be part of this group. I will gladly help spread the word about your release when the time is right. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I appreciate your offer and will get back to you. Thanks.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on your third novel! One piece of advice I can give is to eliminate the word *worry* from your vocabulary. Substitute concerned. You may find weights easing up and disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good advice. Advice, I should know. Thanks, Bish.

      Delete
  18. Congratulation to the authors of Parallels! Congratulations to you too, Joylene, on your upcoming release. You have more fans than your publisher and family/friends, of that I am sure. You are a wonderful writer, and a lovely and faithful friend. Cheering you on with your book and to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The sentiments are mutual.

      Delete
  19. You've got this! Congratulations, and good luck with the release.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Joylene!

    Have you missed me? Okay, of course you have. Right then, enough about ME!

    I do note a lot of familiar folks in regards to that Parallels anthology and the mention of IWSG aka "I Was Seeking Gary." Well kewl!

    Seriously, I'm really looking forward to your third release. Release, as in your third book. It does speak volumes and volumes and volumes about your own resilience, in fact, your courage to go ahead and get it done.

    I've been very much in the background for quite some time, however, Joylene, nearer the time to your book's release, if you want me to publicise the good news on my obscure blog, I'd be honoured.

    Take care.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a gentleman and a scholar, Gary. Thank you for your continuing support. Vies versa, eh!

      Delete
  21. For what it's worth, I think insecurity is far more endearing in a writer than ego and overconfidence. Writers who are still unsure of themselves want to meet other writers and chat about ways to grow, improve, market, and network. Writers who are certain their next title is a bestseller say nothing other than, “Here’s my book. Buy my book. Love my book. Review my book.” Talking to one of those people is a one-sided conversation with someone who MIGHT AS WELL BE SHOUTING for all the listening they’re missing out on. As always, just my two cents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are definitely in this together, Joylene!!
    A HUGE and wonderful congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Matowak 3 times and Dead Witness 2 times? Wow. That must be tough. I don't envy you for trying to "do it all" especially with such a big move ahead. But remember that publishing a book is a marathon not a sprint. If there are things you miss out on now, there's no reason you can't do more marketing in the future. There's more time than you think; many book don't gain traction until they've been out a year or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Lexa. Thanks! Congratulations on your book!

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Thanks, Piper. That was a great post on IWSG. Thanks.

      Delete
  25. Awesome post, Joylene. Good on you for exposing your fears. Good luck with this book - I love the cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your new book and cover. I think your insecurity is totally normal. It's a lot to plan for a book release while selling a house and making such a major move.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lots of worries there, Joylene but ones that will dissipate I'm sure. Many congratulations on your new book. The cover is super! Start to enjoy the ride and try not to worry too much. Sending you lots of positive, inspirational vibes to help with the move and the upcoming publication. It'll all be great and if unfortunate stuff happens, you can use it all in your fourth suspense book :) All the best!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please come in and sit for while. We will talk about writing. We will share our dreams. Then I will serve tea and cookies. Home made and Gluten Free.